• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How hard is install

J

jerry2

Hi there

I am taking a hosted server that I will manage by remote. As the server owners only have Plesk 7.0.3 with it, I would like to take the option to buy it myself (the 7.5 Reloaded). They of course agree, but they sqay it is hard to install...

Is that just a turn off or is there any problem with installation over remote? I will get "bare" Windows 2003 configured to be usable from my home.

Yours

Jerry

Installation is quite simple, but hosting business requires more knowlede than just point and click...

Plesk, compared to other Windows control panels, is more powerful and more user friendly, and untill last year support was awfull, but thanks to this forum and it's community (end user to end user), almost any problem can be solved promptly...

Well I know I will have to learn how to transfer domains (yes BTW: How to transfer domains, who hosts my domain in DNS if I have a dedicated server?)

So of course you have to learn.

I meant to ask how hard is it to install using remote control on the server? Provider says I rather use his Plesk 7.0.3, but I want 7.5 and I want to buy it here and install it myself.

Does it install like another Windows service/program or you have to do any low level stuff like changing network settings (which can be problem as I would do it remotely on a hosting server).

Yours

Jerry

Originally posted by jerry2
Does it install like another Windows service/program...
Yes

After installation you have to configure your DNS server, FTP server, IP addresses are configured easily trough Plesk... setting up hosting account is the easiest part ;)

Thank you for your info. So the hosting company telling me it is difficult to install it is wrong. If I buy from them 7.0.3 version I will still have to learn everything about hosting?

So if I understand correctly, I have to make a few settings from root/windows GUI and then I can connect from home using web browser?

But... Is the learning step to manage my own domain (web, mysql database, ASP, mail) easier with Plesk than withpout? I understood it to be tool that is easier for no system administrators. Of course I must know what I am doings but it should be easier using the web browser remotly than clicking on the administrator services in Windows, or is it not?

Yours

Jerry

Or is Plesk 7.0.3 not much different to the 7.5 Reloaded? They offer me 7.0.3 (not for free of course), but same price over 24 month period as buying it here for 199 $.

Yours

Jerry

Do you plan to sell hosting or do you plan to have only one site (yours) hosted?

I do have one quite big site (for our terms) it has about 10.000 visits per day. Using ASp + mySQL (I know it is not perfect)... At the moment Queries do have some problem and it is using too much processing time on my provider. I have to redesign it but want to go hosting to be somewhere where I can work forward. I do have about 10 small clients with mostly zero bandwith, very small... I would like to take them to this server also...

I hope 4000 Gb monthly is enough. I know my site is making 100Gb a month, but I am woried how much can people send using email (it is also bandwidth)...

I am still loooking for a good dedicated server in Europe. Still hasn't found the best solution.

Yours

Jerry

My advice to you would be to buy current version of Plesk for Windows instead of renting old one... First of all, new versions always have much wider support for 3rd party applications (like dotNET 2.0, mail servers, etc.) as well as bugfixes for old versions... Installation is the same whether you choose old or new Plesk.

Through Plesk you can modify all those things you mentioned, so no need for manual configuring in IIS or Administrator Tools...

So if I understand correctly, I have to make a few settings from root/windows GUI and then I can connect from home using web browser?
Yes. Setup and configure via RDC, administration via browser/FTP.

Thank you for your answers. Yes, 10 EURO per month for Plesk 7.0.3 as the host offers is not a good option IMHO. That makes 240 EURO in 24 months and if I see correctly the price of Plesk for Windows is 199 $ and I owe the licence of unlimited use...

I am not sure at the moment how I connect to the dedicated server and what happens if Windows do not boot (or there is some question before windows load), but...
So I buy Plesk, send it to remote machine somehow and install it :)

It is off topic, but do you know if I have to be carefull with domain names. I mean, my old provider has given space to rent to my customers and the domain names registration... Now their domain have his primary and secondary server in (looking by whois)... If they go to my server, who can change the primary and secondary DNS in domain data? I guess they must do it, but can they refuse to? And most importantly, who will lend me the option to write their DNS into domain names data? I can not run DNS server by myself, can I?

Is 4000 Gb per month a good transfer option?

Yours

Jerry

Originally posted by jerry2
Thank you for your answers. Yes, 10 EURO per month for Plesk 7.0.3 as the host offers is not a good option IMHO. That makes 240 EURO in 24 months and if I see correctly the price of Plesk for Windows is 199 $ and I owe the licence of unlimited use...

AFAIK, $199 license is limited to 30 domains @ unlimited time period, but 1 month support from SWsoft and 1 year of updates.

I am not sure at the moment how I connect to the dedicated server and what happens if Windows do not boot (or there is some question before windows load), but...
You connect via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) in Windows. It's quite simple and straightforward. Another Windows in window :)

So I buy Plesk, send it to remote machine somehow and install it :)
When connected via RDC, you're working in Windows environment but on remote server... Download and install like you would install it to your PC.

It is off topic, but do you know if I have to be carefull with domain names. I mean, my old provider has given space to rent to my customers and the domain names registration... Now their domain have his primary and secondary server in (looking by whois)... If they go to my server, who can change the primary and secondary DNS in domain data? I guess they must do it, but can they refuse to? And most importantly, who will lend me the option to write their DNS into domain names data? I can not run DNS server by myself, can I?
Uh... This topic is a bit complicated and this is not the right forum for this kinda questions... PM?

Is 4000 Gb per month a good transfer option?
More than enough ;)

Originally posted by matija
AFAIK, $199 license is limited to 30 domains @ unlimited time period, but 1 month support from SWsoft and 1 year of updates.

Yes, my mistake, I meant 30 domains... So that means 30 customers? :) That's enough. I meant the unlimited time, not rented...

You connect via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) in Windows. It's quite simple and straightforward. Another Windows in window :)

When connected via RDC, you're working in Windows environment but on remote server... Download and install like you would install it to your PC.

And that is a safe way and realible to work? Great. But if I have a software at home, how do I transfer it to remote? I guess managing with FTP? But I have to open ftp ports first and do all the things to protect the ftp first.

Uh... This topic is a bit complicated and this is not the right forum for this kinda questions... PM?

More than enough ;)

Thanx. I will...

Jerry

Back