• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How long does an upgrade from 8.6 to 9.0 take?

michaellunsford

Regular Pleskian
I usually receive two notifications from plesk, both say "completed successfully" and they're usually several minutes apart. Well, at about 6PM last night, I received my first notification. It's now 10:41AM the following day and still no second notification. The Plesk control panel is not responding either. I don't even get a login screen. The browser just churns and churns (over an hour was the longest I was willing to wait).

The server is still running, all sites are working, email, etc. SSH lets me in, and uptime shows load averages within acceptable ranges (as low as 0.00 at one point last night).

So, two questions, I suppose: How much time should I allow for the upgrade? and What do I do if that time elapses?

> How much time should I allow for the upgrade?
it depends on servers capacity - approximately about 30 -40 min

What do I do if that time elapses?

In this situation it would be better to check log files:
/tmp/autoinstaller3.log

if the upgrade was failed here you can find the detailed information. It will help you to determine the cause of the issue and how to fix it (you can post it here so we can help you). The best practice is using autoinstaller: you will have the full output on the screen and will see if it was stuck or just takes some time to complete upgrade of some packages.

if you see in log that upgrade was failed, check the current plesk version:
rpm -q psa (for RHEL based) and database version:
mysql -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
> select * form misc;

try to restart plesk service:
/etc/init.d/psa stop
/etc/init.d/psa start

restart did it

The log file said it was good and it emailed me. So, that'd be just the one email, instead of the usual two. I restarted plesk and it's responding now. Thanks for that command, by the way, I usually have to reboot to get plesk started again.

Failed

Well, after getting plesk restarted, it's still 8.6. I re-ran the updater and received two emails. First was success, second was failure. Here's the failure part of the second email:

Warning: unresolved requires '/usr/bin/lp' from redhat-lsb-3.0-8.EL.i386 (s 0xa4d3ba0 source=0xa494be0 P:26 R:155)
Warning: unresolved requires '/usr/bin/lpr' from redhat-lsb-3.0-8.EL.i386 (s 0xa4d3ba0 source=0xa494be0 P:26 R:155)
Warning: unresolved requires 'dummy-centos-4' from dummy-selinux-openvz-1.0-2.noarch (t 0xaf3cc00 source=0xa599fb0 P:5 R:1)
Warning: unresolved requires 'vzdummyce4' from dummy-selinux-vz-1.0-2.noarch (t 0xaf3ceb0 source=0xa599fb0 P:5 R:1)
Warning: unresolved requires 'httpd = 2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.1.swsoft' from mod_ssl-1:2.0.52-22.ent.centos4.1.swsoft.i386 (t 0xaf4a0c0 source=0xa599fb0 P:19 R:24)
A dependency problem is found: required package psa-php4-cgi-4.3.10-1.i386 (t 0xaf5d818 source=0xa599fb0 P:3 R:18) conflicts with php-cli-5.1.6-3.el4s1.10.i386 (s 0xa4d73b0 source=0xa494be0 P:6 R:37). No upgrade or obsolete solution was found for php-cli. Try to add php-cli to removable list.Problem occured during searching conflicts for package psa-php4-cgi-4.3.10-1.i386 (t 0xaf5d818 source=0xa599fb0 P:3 R:18)ERROR: Unable to proceed with the installation until the package php-cli-5.1.6-3.el4s1.10.i386 (s 0xa4d73b0 source=0xa494be0 P:6 R:37) is removed from the system.
Not all packages were installed.

From my perspective, it looks like plesk is expecting PHP to be version 4, and is quite upset that it's version 5? Odd.

Back