• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to activate/edit ingo pigeonhole sieve email filters on linux from command line?

PeterKi

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
plesk obsidian 18.0.50u2 WebAdmin Edition
Plesk comes with modules for horde webmail and also for sieve and ingo to create server side email filters.
Code:
ii  plesk-dovecot-pigeonhole           0.5.19-v.ubuntu.22.04+p18.0.50.2+t230213.1226
ii  psa-ingo                           3.2.16-v.ubuntu.22.04+p18.0.50.2+t230213.1226
The filters are stored in /var/qmail/mailnames/myDomain/myUser/sieve/ingo.sieve.

Is there a way to edit and activate the filters from the command line?

It can be very cumbersome to edit the filters with the horde webmailer gui if there is a large number of rules (e.g. after a migration)

There is no command needed to actually enable sieve rules. As soon as rule is defined in the sieve file it becomes active. As for editing you can use any editor installed on you server. Like Vim or Nano.

OK.
But then there is an issue with the interaction between the webmailer gui and the filter file.
A filter file from a plesk migration is not shown in the webmailer at all.
A filter file which is edited on the command line is not updated in the webmailer.
Thus, the webmailer shows a wrong filter and if I do a 'save' in the webmailer, all my previous changes in the filter file are gone.

I am not talking about the migrator but about an ingo.sieve file I have copied from my old server to /var/qmail/mailnames/myDomain/myUser/sieve/ingo.sieve.
This filter was not shown in the horde webmailer under Filter Rules, but shown under Script -> Show Active Script.
So Kaspar is right - a manually edited ingo.sieve is shown as active script.
But it is somehow not known by horde and if I click on Script -> Activate Script, the ingo.sieve gets overwritten by horde with an empty file.
Thus, my question was probably not precise enough.
As the ingo sieve packages are from plesk I think there should also be a plesk command to get a manually edited or imported filter file shown as the active script in horde webmailer, so that changes can be done either from the webmailer interface or on the command line.
The first is more convenient for small changes, the latter is more suitable for large filter lists.

Ingo is actually the Email Filter Rules Manager from Horde. I never used Horde myself, but it looks like rules are stored in a database and those rules get published in the Sieve file that gets used by Dovecot. Thats probably why your ingo.sieve file gets overwritten with an empty file. So, I think, your best bed would be to copy and manually migrate the database used by Ingo. (I don't know which database that is). And then manually copy over the ingo.sieve files.

As an additional note, the Horde project seems to have stalled for a while now. With no significant updates in years and no support for PHP 8 on the horizon. It looks like there is limited life left in Horde and I won't be surprised if Plesk drops support in the near future (but I might be wrong on this).

Last edited:
Oops, that doesn't sound promising.
Horde is actually a great webmailer and I don't see any successor coming near to its rich feature set.
I will dig more into ingo to find a way to migrate the database.
Thanks for the clarification.

Horde is actually a great webmailer and I don't see any successor coming near to its rich feature set.

I never used Horde, so this may sound like a silly question, but what does IMAP support in Horde do?

Last edited:
but what does IMAP support in Horde do?
Sorry, I just went through the list on the given link and found that IMAP was not ticked green on SOGo.
I think IMAP just means that horde works with IMAP and, thus, flawlessly allows other IMAP clients like thunderbird on the same mailbox.
It could well be that SOGo also has no problem with IMAP and the list from the link is just wrong on this aspect.

I see, I thought Horde may had additional IMAP features. The application that takes care of IMAP and POP3 on with Plesk is either Dovecot or Courier. (You can install either one, however Dovecot is recommended). It works independently of any webmail client.

As far as I can tell both Roundcube and Sogo support the features you listed (search options and filters). They are maybe used differently, but they are available in both :)

Back