• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue dovecot sieve migration error

PeterKi

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
plesk obsidian 18.0.50u2 WebAdmin Edition
I migrated a server with plesk obsidian 18.0.50u2 on ubuntu LTS 20 to an ubuntu LTS22 server with plesk obsidian 18.0.50u2 WebAdmin Edition.
After I had setup the new DNS for my domains and reconfigured postfix I found that my horde filter rule was also migrated but not imported correctly into plesk.
I. e. the horde webmailer did not show the existing filter rule in Mail -> Filters (see 1. pic below).
When I selected Script -> Show Active Script it showed my filter rule, though.
I found that the filter rule resides in a file /var/qmail/mailnames/landango.de/myMailUser/sieve/ingo.sieve.
Alas, I was not able to get this filter rule imported and listed as an existing filter.
It just did not show myRule.
I created the myRule filter with the NewRule button, and it became shown in the rules list (see pic 2.), but then I had to manually enter all my rule settings, which was rather cumbersome.

Attachments

• 2023-02-16 15_46_37-Filters — Mozilla Firefox.png
    2023-02-16 15_46_37-Filters — Mozilla Firefox.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2023-02-16 15_47_32-Filters — Mozilla Firefox.png
    2023-02-16 15_47_32-Filters — Mozilla Firefox.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for pointing me to that list.
It looks to me as if the migrator lacks many things, and I wonder why there is no decent summary after migration of what has been done and what has not been done, and it should give advice for detected problems.
E.g. in my special case, it should report something like:
>> Found webmail filter definitions in ...ingo.sieve, but could not activate it. Please do so manually in horde webmail.

Instead of having a large documentation about the migrator, the tool should itself be verbose and precise about its actions, but avoid obfuscating boilerplate phrases.
I did check the migration logs and just found 1 exclamation mark at "Import backup dumps to target panel's repository" which doesn't tell what the reason for this warning is.
I also found an error about a subscription, that new configuration files were not created due to a bad user name, but also not giving any hints how to possibly resolve the problem.

It would be great if Migrator could do all that. But as it does not know about some functions, it cannot report that it did not migrate their data. If it knew about that data, it could also migrate it. What will need to get done is to make Migrator smarter.

I agree with that the migrator cannot know everything.
But, if plesk already has a module for something like /etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-plesk-sieve.conf, the migrator should know about the related config files e.g. ..ingo.sieve and take this into account or at least report something about it.
Indeed, I hope that the migrator will become smarter over time in this respect.

Back