• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to add subdomain without domain?

TinaBura

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

my client has a domain hosted by Host Europe. There is also a web project on this domain and it should be kept this way. E. g. www.example.com

Now I would like to create new website for test on a subdomain. E. g. test.example.com. The subdomain (only subdomain) should be hosted on my Plesk server. The client has added DNS A entry for the subdomain, it points to my server. I can see Plesk default page when requesting subdomain in browser.

I have added client's domain on the Plesk to be able to add subdomain. But it seems that this does not work. E. g. password protection of the directory is not respected and I cannot get a SSL certificate for the subdomain (because main domain has different IP).

How do I configure it in Plesk?

www.example.com - other IP, other hosting provider
test.example.com - my IP, my Plesk

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.

Instead of creating example.com in Plesk, create test.example.com in the same way. So create a subdomain as if it would be a domain.

If you already created example.com, you could simply rename it to test.example.com.

Hello,

I know that this post is a bit old but I'm trying to do the exact same thing. The domain itself points to a different server and I'd like to have only the subdomain meanaged on the server with Plesk.
I've got the A entry in the DNS for the subdomain. I clicked Websites & Domains -> Add Domain and the necessary field for domain name has a hard coded "www" before it. How can I get rid of the "www"? Or should I make a CNAME post so that the DNS also redirects on www? It sounds like an ugly solution.
Thanks

Simply ignore the www. If you don't have a nameserver record for www.subdomain.domain.tld the Subdomain written with www won't be routed to your subdomain. It does not matter whether there is an extra www entry in the web server configuration for it.

Back