• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to change the websites default root path?

thurft

New Pleskian
I would like to change the default root path of all websites that a created by Plesk.
I have searched in the UI but I cant find anywhere how to specify a different partition/directory.
I am using Linux/Ubuntu

Basically what I want is that all sites that are created when I migrate a lot of sites are placed in a partition drive and not in the main drive. Therefore i need to change the default location of all new created websites. But also with that change it needs to reflect the FTP path

How could i do this?

Last edited:
You shouldn't be doing this ...(Changing the default plesk root path, /var/www/vhosts/ could be the genesis of endless problems on your server). However, if you mean changing the partition on which plesk is installed, then you can do that easily before installation of plesk (by installing it on a different or respective partition)

You shouldn't be doing this ...(Changing the default plesk root path, /var/www/vhosts/ could be the genesis of endless problems on your server). However, if you mean changing the partition on which plesk is installed, then you can do that easily before installation of plesk (by installing it on a different or respective partition)

So when installing Plesk I can install it on any partition I want? how could i do that?

Plesk has a CLI command for changing the default websites Path:

/transvhosts.pl
You should specify destination directory.
Utility to transfer vhosts content from HTTPD_VHOSTS_D directory to new place.

Abdi this command is obsolete now?

Plesk has a CLI command for changing the default websites Path:

/transvhosts.pl
You should specify destination directory.
Utility to transfer vhosts content from HTTPD_VHOSTS_D directory to new place.

Abdi this command is obsolete now?

I am installing plesk using http://autoinstall.plesk.com/plesk-installer and at any point during the installation is asked me for a path where i would like to store plesk. How do i set the folder/partition?

It's not obsolete yet! But changing it could cause a lot of 'uncalled or UN-necessary' problems in the future ..Much of the documentation also is based on the default /var/www/vhosts ...and a lot of more you could not notice on first site ...

It's OK if it's a single host or test server but if you are hosting 10s of clients on it, then not recommended!

About preparing your partitions, here is a good read:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/819

It's not obsolete yet! But changing it could cause a lot of 'uncalled or UN-necessary' problems in the future ..Much of the documentation also is based on the default /var/www/vhosts ...and a lot of more you could not notice on first site ...

It's OK if it's a single host or test server but if you are hosting 10s of clients on it, then not recommended!

About preparing your partitions, here is a good read:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/819

I've just checked that link but it doesnt say how to change the directory if I wanted it to go to /vol1/*
How could I do that?

Back