• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to change your 'root' password (not admin)

Zoo3

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
I want to change the root or sub user password, not the Administorator password to log into Plesk. I was able to find out how to change the Plesk password by looking on Google, etc. But nothing about root. I have been trying to adjust my Plesk user for a while now. When I first installed Plesk, I created root and normal user accounts. I can't recall what I remember from that time.

Only one Plesk user is shown in the Plesk web UI. Of course, changing the password of this user (who can log into Plesk) will not change the root password.
I remember generating the password via the web, not SSH at that time. Is user management gone in Plesk now?

I know I can use ssh and modify it with the passwd command, but I would like to know how to do it with just PLESK as much as possible for the new admin training.

From a security perspective it's not recommend to use the Root user for logging on to Plesk.

That being said, it looks like it's not possible to change the Root users password from within Plesk. Logging in as Root and changing the password seems to change the password for the Admin user instead. I am not sure if thats by design (seems a little weird and counter intuitive) or if it's a bug. If you feel it's a bug feel free to submit a bug report about it. Important - PLEASE FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION IF YOU BELIEVE THAT FOUND A BUG!

Back