• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to correctly migrate to new server

samurai-kake

New Pleskian
I am no expert on servers, so please excuse my beginner questions. I have a client that wants me to migrate all of the websites I’ve developed from his current old server to an upgrade server. Both using Plesk, but one is on Redhat6 and the new one is CentOS7. I've compared both server components. Just wondering if having new one’s or missing old one’s will be critical or not for this project. Below are details of missing components vs new components on server.

Old server components missing on new server:
  • Courier-imap
  • Mailman
  • Mod_python
  • Psa-drweb-configurator
  • Spamassassin
New server components that the old server doesn’t have:
  • Dovecot
  • Dovecot-pigeonhole
  • Nginx
  • Php-farm
  • Resource-controller
  • roundcube
Old server is running Plesk 12.5.30 and the new server is on Plesk Onyx 17.5.3.

Just checked the PHP settings and I've got a few of the domains on the old server using PHP 5.3.3 by OS vendor Apache module. But they don't have this available on the new server. Should I be worried about this?

I was also pointed to use the Plesk Migrator tool. Any tips/suggestions?Plesk Migration and Transfer Guide

Any tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest you add missing components on new server like Spamassassin, Mailman, Courier and after that initiate migration. Before data transfer, you will see message from pre-migration checker about possible problems. So, you will have a checklist which will help you to avoid potential migration issues.

I would suggest you add missing components on new server like Spamassassin, Mailman, Courier and after that initiate migration. Before data transfer, you will see message from pre-migration checker about possible problems. So, you will have a checklist which will help you to avoid potential migration issues.
Thanks for the reply! Seems like all files and DBs managed to transfer over, but having a problem displaying the websites. When I Preview the websites, it just shows "The site can't be reached". Also tried updating host file with new server ip address for the specific domain, but still no luck showing the websites on the new server. Any ideas?

Back