• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how to create subdomain run *not* from subfolder of TLD?

TauTaude

New Pleskian
Hi,

I want to create a subdomain, but want it to reside on the same directory level as normal domains, not below the directory structure of the top domain. How would I do that from within Plesk? When I try to create a new subscription, www. is already put as hostname, and when I try to create a subdomain from the control panel of the top domain, I can't choose a directory path above the one of the top domain...

Hi,

on CentOS 7, using Plesk 12.5, that is already the case.

If you look at your file structure using FTP, the following happens:
On creation of the main domain (no matter if with or without www) the folder httpdocs is created on root level and holds the website.
If you create a subdomain test1, plesk creates a new folder on root level called test1.domain.com and holds *that* website.

So both the main domain and the subdomain are technically parallel to each other, and not as you seem to assume that the subdomain is within a subfolder of the main domain.

Cheers,
Tom

on debian, plesk 12.0x it's not... I created the subdomain from the control panel of the main domain, and it's directory now resides within the main domain (from a "plesk" view that makes sense: you sell the space to someone that can create sudomains within his space, and which is calculated all together)

Back