• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to customize Plesk Panel - Default FTP Home Directory | Subject of Notificatios

EXPIT-MW

New Pleskian
Hi folk,

i have a question concerning the customization of Plesk Panel.

First of all is it possible to confine the folder permissions of the default ftp user of an account?
Because the default ftp user has access to lib, lib64 etc.
I want that the default home directory is httpdocs and that there is no possibility that the user could go to a higher level than the home directory.

My second question is could I change the subject of a notification.
For example when a new user will be created a notification email will be send to the user as well as to the administrator and the subject is
"<hostname> Notification of the customer creation."
This is horrible!
I want to customize the subjuct to for example "Welcome to YXZ Webhosting"
Furthermore how could I modify the sender mail address?

Thanks a lot for your support!
Greetings from Germany

Markus

Hi Markus,

You can hide any folders owned by root by changing to the following in /etc/proftpd.conf (somewhere round line 58)

<Directory /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts>
GroupOwner psacln
HideNoAccess On
HideUser root
</Directory>

Your users will then only be able to view their writable folders: anon_ftp, cgi-bin, httpdocs, private and statistics. You will obviously need to advise customers to save website files in the httpdocs folder.

You can customize your email notifications under Tools & Settings > Panel > Notifications.
I'm not sure if you can edit the email subject directly in panel. You may have to do this by editing the relevant fields in the "Notification" table in the PSA database. Obviously, be careful when doing this - take a backup of your backup of the backup before editing anything in the PSA database.

The sender email address is that of the panel admin user.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

thank you for your information.
I have tried to hide the folders owned by root by changing the proftpd.conf with success.
But in the Parallels File Manager the user has still access the root folders.
It would be very nice if you have a further advice for me for this problem.

I have found the the tables in the Database (Notifications and Note in psa) for changing the subject.
But i must find the php file which will create the notification email because the hostname is still a part of the subject and this couldn't be changed in the database.
Have you any idea where i could find it?
Thanks a lot!

Greetings from the cloudy Germany
Markus

Unfortunately, there is no way to hide root owned folders under the File Manager is Panel. From what I can see in the 11.5 preview release, the file manager has been completed over-hauled. It looks like the File Manager will work in a similar way to FTP in that it seems to take folder view permissions into account. Plesk Panel 11.5 is only a matter of weeks away from public release so it won't be too long before the File Manager behaves how you would expect it to!

Unfortunately, I don't know where the coding that adds <host name> into the email subject - maybe someone else reading this can help with that one - Igor?

Happy to he

Back