• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to get rid of machinename as a NS record in MS DNS?

Ryan11433

Regular Pleskian
I have 2 DNS name server pointing to my dns server but this is microsoft dns in windows 2003 and theres a invaild nameserver as the third nameserver which would be named like .machinename

I have looked into plesk dns templates and it does not have it. When I manually remove them in MS DNS program each domain dns template. And whenever upgrading Plesk it comes back so I realized that there is a main template of name server in MS DNS that kept on adding back that invaild nameserver.

Have you figured it out to remove that invaild nameserver?

Experiencing the same problem

Anybody found a solution?

Originally posted by resellertr
We can not get ride of machine name,

I switched to Bind.

Maybe you actually gave up?

And your wrong.. there is a way to get rid of it. I even have seen other MSDNS servers running on Windows 2003 with these machinename being removed. I just dont know how excatly and it is somewhere in MS DNS.

If anyone figure it out whoever that is reading this topic could tell us how?

Hi,

I asked to a MCSE, he told me it is not possible to stop it. Every time I add a new domain I login to server, i had to remove machine name from dns.

this is not my wrong this is microsoft's wrong.

yes it is from MS DNS and removing it for each domain will come back unless you find the main template nameservers in MS DNS and remove those machinename off the list.

Again, I couldnt find excatly where in MS DNS. And if any of you figure this out let me know.

Hi,

He told me that because of ms dns logic, dns server adds machine name.

I never heard about MS DNS template.

Excatly this is a example like a main ms dns template :)

I am glad that you have give in into looking into this just like me.

well thats you but ill probably refuse to give up it is not really hurting the server but again i just actually thought of removing the invaild nameserver that MS DNS are creating.

Told ya its possible...

To correct this problem:
1) open Control Panel
2) open System applet
3) select Computer Name tab
4) click the "Change" button and join the computer to a domain or workgroup; this name will be used as your DNS domain name
5) reboot to initialize with new domain name

After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up default records, substituting new DNS name of this server, for old single label name. However, you should review to make sure zone's SOA and NS records now properly use correct domain name of this server.

Ryan11433 Wrote:
Told ya its possible...

To correct this problem:
1) open Control Panel
2) open System applet
3) select Computer Name tab
4) click the "Change" button and join the computer to a domain or workgroup; this name will be used as your DNS domain name
5) reboot to initialize with new domain name

After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up default records, substituting new DNS name of this server, for old single label name. However, you should review to make sure zone's SOA and NS records now properly use correct domain name of this server.

It wasn't exactly that, but you were very close, In the computer name tab there was a "more" button, in there you can set "Primary DNS Sufix of this computer", I set this to "mydomain.com", it chaged the full machines name to: machinename.mydomain.com
then i created a dns entry (A Record) for that machinename.mydomain.com so it resolves to my server.

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately the answer given isn't an ideal solution. I don't want anything but ns records appearing in the nameservers tab, unfortunately, that means I have to remove it manually. This is of no fault of Plesk's and is completely Microsoft's issue, which I had hoped long ago would be fixed in the 2003 DNS server.

Also, keep in mind that renaming your server with many ISPs will bring down the wrath of a furious system admin.

thanks so much again this fixed a small issue and I'm glad that SW-SOFT saved this post because I must have forgotten on how I fixed this issue.

Back