• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to get .svc extension to be handled correctly

M

Michael Legg

I have a client who has an ASP.Net app that uses Syndication services, but we can't get it to run on our server. (IIS7/Plesk 9.5/ASP.Net 3.5)

We've installed Windows Communication Foundation and run the ServiceModel Registration Tool (servicemodelreg –i) which is supposed to set up all of the handlers in IIS, but we still get a 404.3 Error - "The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map."

Is there something about the way Plesk manages IIS that prevents the ServiceModel Registration Tool from working?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made some progress ...

"servicemodelreg –i" only sets up the handlers on the "Default" website, so you still have to manually add them to the individual websites that want to run .svc scripts.

Having done this, the app isn't producing an IIS error anymore, but it's still having some sort of internal "file not found" error which is being handled within the application.

So I'm still not sure if further configuration on the web server will be required.

oops back to square one - as soon as you make any changes to the domain via Plesk, IIS loses all of the .svc handlers that were added manually.

So I'm thinking now that it's impossible to host WCF Services on Plesk.

Michael, I know this is a fairly old post, but I did find a couple people who suggested clicking on "Revert To Parent" in the Handler Mappings for your website in IIS. That wipes out all of those Plesk handlers and copies all of the handlers from the default into your site. Plesk won't override them after that.

But, WCF services still don't run right.

I'm just about ready to dump Plesk and maintain my server the old fashioned way.

Anybody from Parallels care to save me as a paying client? Why won't WCF services run in IIS under Plesk?

Back