• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to ? Install 3rd Party Perl Modules

M

Marty_@

Hello to all

I have search this form, for several days now, & well I cant find anything on How to actualy install a perl Module, what I mean is where & with what program........

I know where to get the modules eg: cpan

I know the commands eg: perl makefile.pl, make, make test, make install etc...

I dont know...

1, a recommend folder to ftp the module files/folder into ?

2, a program to actualy send the install commands to the module or an example of what I should write using some kind of program.

ie: lets say I download the latest GD module from cpan

Where does it go ? /recommended

Where do I write the install commands ? /suggested program

If someone had a few minutes to write an idiots guide, I do want to learn all this stuff, however if anyone wants to contact me please feel free to do so.......

Plesk 7.5.2

Regards
Marty

The way I install Perl Modules is:

1 - I download from CPAN using wget mostly. It doesn't matter where you put the source code on the server - pick a directory and wget it to that directory

2 - Untar the file (it's a tarball) with something like:

tar -zxvf name_of_file.tar.gz

3 - Change to the directory created when you expanded the tarball, and from within that directory run:

perl Makefile.PL

then

make

then make install

and you're done. The perk Makefile.PL will build a Makefile that knows where to install the actual module to on your server, so you really don't need to worry about where it gets installed to - it should always be installed to the right place.

I've had 99.999% success with this technique, much lower with any of the more automated installation techniques, so I always use this one.

This DOES require that you have shell + root access to the server.

and from within that directory run:

[/B]

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, iam still stuck with this a little, its the "and from within that directory run:" the commands, I cant find a program that allows such commands.

Problem is, I know all of what you said above, however when i try typing in perl Makefile.PL it say no file or directory found ?

Could you recommend a program or am I missing something really stupid :confused:

Back