• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to install MySQL 8 to replace MariaDB or as an additional local DB server

L. Hagen

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsidian v18
Hi,

unfortunatley my provider only offers Plesk with MariaSB. But I read in the documentation that Plesk is also able to run with MySQL 8. The question is now how?
The only entries I can find is how to setup an a new DB Server in Plesk, but no documentation on HOW to install MySQL in parallel with MariaDB.

I already tried to replace MariaDB with MySQL but it destroyed my installation. So that seems not to be the way...

Before you ask, why MySQL and not MariaDB? The reason is simple: I need to use some MySQL features (especially some JSON functions) that are not available in MariaDB.

Please can anybody give me a documentation on how I can achieve my goal?

Plesk can run with MariaDB or MySQL. Most OSes supported by Plesk ship with MariaDB as the default database service. If your server comes with Plesk pre-installed then it's quite a challenge to switch from MariaDB to MySQL (or the other way around). A similar situation has been discussed in this topic: Question - Switch from Mysql to MariaDB

Back