Resolved How to install Pagespeed on Ubuntu Plesk 17 Apache and Nginx

rene1

New Pleskian
Hi,

we use on our Webserver Ubuntu 14.04 Plesk 17 Apache and Nginx.
I´ve also installed Redis for caching with the WordPress 4.7 Plug-in W3 Total Cache.

Now I found an install instruction for installing pagespeed:
http://www.tecmint.com/install-mod_pagespeed-to-boost-apache-nginx-performance/

Can I install it like it is described here?
How can I bind the mod_pagespeed into Plesk?

Does it makes sense to install mod_pagespeed on top for a better performance?

Best regards,

Rene

This rpm package from Google is Apache module and you can install it. But problem in that Plesk nginx is not compiled with pagespeed module support and you can't use it in scope of nginx.

Hi Igor,

thanks for your answer.
I´m new to Linux so what do you mean with "Plesk nginx is not compiled with pagespeed module support..."

On the website I´ve mentioned, there is a instruction for adding pagespeed to nginx.

------------------------------------
pagespeed on;
# Needs to exist and be writable by nginx. Use tmpfs for best performance.
pagespeed FileCachePath /var/ngx_pagespeed_cache;
# Ensure requests for pagespeed optimized resources go to the pagespeed handler
# and no extraneous headers get set.
location ~ "\.pagespeed\.([a-z]\.)?[a-z]{2}\.[^.]{10}\.[^.]+" {
add_header "" "";
}
location ~ "^/pagespeed_static/" { }
location ~ "^/ngx_pagespeed_beacon$" { }
------------------------------------

But is this not working with the nginx in Plesk?

So does it makes sense to install mod_pagespeed for apache only, when I´ve use apache and nginx on my server?

Do you know if Plesk is working on a built in module for pagespeed with nginx and apache?

And do you think that mod_pagespeed increase the performance of a WordPress Website?

Best regards,

Rene

Hi rene1 ,

pls. be informed, that the PAGESPEED - PHP - module/extension is some sort of "bridge" between your depending PHP - version and your used webserver(s), which might need extended compiling arguments, in order to work. In detail, your NGINX version has to be compiled with the ( additional ) module "ngx_pagespeed", which is currently not the case, when you use the Plesk - NGINX - version. Pls. check the used compiling arguments of your NGINX version on your server with for example:
Code:
nginx -V

Hi IgorG,

we have request about pagespeed module for nginx and it is under developer's consideration
Sorry to write that, but the initial feature request to => "Add Google pagespeed integration" at "plesk.uservoice.com" was at June, 2013, while "Plesk staff" responded at May, 2015, that "they will definetely look into adding mod_pagespeed + ngx_pagespeed in future Plesk releases". I wrote the thread => "How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others )" within 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

Hi rene1,

pls. have a look at the newly created thread: => How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others )

Sorry to write that, but the initial feature request to => "Add Google pagespeed integration" at "plesk.uservoice.com" was at June, 2013, while "Plesk staff" responded at May, 2015, that "they will definetely look into adding mod_pagespeed + ngx_pagespeed in future Plesk releases". I wrote the thread => "How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others )" within 20 minutes.
Yes, it is true. But I'm a bit surprised, because I thought that the differences in the individual development and the development in the scope of a large company are obvious. We have a huge number of customers with a variety of configurations, features, environment, and we must take all this into account, to test deeply, to calculate all the risks and so much more...
In addition, great importance is the question of priorities and resource allocation, which is always not enough.
I wouldn't want to go into details, but it is not that simple and certainly not a matter of twenty minutes...
But anyway, big thanks for your great contribution!

Yes, it is true. But I'm a bit surprised, because I thought that the differences in the individual development and the development in the scope of a large company are obvious. We have a huge number of customers with a variety of configurations, features, environment, and we must take all this into account, to test deeply, to calculate all the risks and so much more...
In addition, great importance is the question of priorities and resource allocation, which is always not enough.
I wouldn't want to go into details, but it is not that simple and certainly not a matter of twenty minutes...
But anyway, big thanks for your great contribution!

Hi Igor
Hi IgorG,

Sorry to write that, but the initial feature request to => "Add Google pagespeed integration" at "plesk.uservoice.com" was at June, 2013, while "Plesk staff" responded at May, 2015, that "they will definetely look into adding mod_pagespeed + ngx_pagespeed in future Plesk releases". I wrote the thread => "How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others )" within 20 minutes. :rolleyes:
pls. have a look at the newly created thread: => How to compile NGINX with additional modules ( pagespeed / cache_purge / headers-more / and others )

I IgorG and UFHH01,
would like to understand the situation, from what I have understood, the Pagespeed Nginx can not install it on Plesk Onyx? Correct?
I tried to run the installation of Pagespeed Nginx in Plesk Onyx centos but does not work...

Best Regard
Alessandro

Of course you're right with that statement, but there's a big difference between 20 minutes and 2 years.....

Customers are testing their pages and ask their web developer to apply the suggested changes. They then tell them to ask us. Naturally they are asking us now....
For now I have to tell them no.

Whenever I make changes to my Plesk server I do my best to stay out of Plesk's way.
Replacing nginx is therefore not something I would like to do.

Now that 2 years have passed can we have some feedback on how Plesk is going to handle this in the near future?
If "not at all" is the answer then it may not be the answer I am (and others are) hoping to hear, but at least an answer.

It is then up to us if we stay with the standard nginx or start building our own from source.

Last edited:
Hi,

we use on our Webserver Ubuntu 14.04 Plesk 17 Apache and Nginx.
I´ve also installed Redis for caching with the WordPress 4.7 Plug-in W3 Total Cache.

Now I found an install instruction for installing pagespeed:
Install Mod_Pagespeed to Speed Up Apache and Nginx Performance Upto 10x

Can I install it like it is described here?
How can I bind the mod_pagespeed into Plesk?

Does it makes sense to install mod_pagespeed on top for a better performance?

Best regards,

Rene

How did you install redis and is it working properly like speeding up things?

How did you install redis and is it working properly like speeding up things?
Off topic.... Create a new thread for this.
As a "Regular Pleskian" you should have picked up some netiquette by now...

I was hoping for an answer on my question..

Back