• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to Manage Log Files and Change Log File Size. Affects Fail2Ban

Zardiw

Basic Pleskian
Go to Websites and Domains.

On the particular Web site, click on Logs

At the Upper Right is a pull down called All Logs

Click on it, and pick Manage Log Files

On the next page pick Log Rotation

Pick Log Rotation by size, and make the number 2048KB ........that should be plenty big enough for Fail2Ban,
since these are text files and you can put a whole LOTTA info in a text file w/o it being too big

I don't know what the maximum number of log files means.....

Also notice this little gem: 'Note that your custom logs are not rotated.'

My take on this stuff.

1. Managing Log file size is WAY too hidden.........they really buried it as far as they could, and that's saying a lot, coming from a programmer, and a web user for over 20 years.
2. I don't know if 'Compress Log Files' has any consequences as far as server efficiency.
3. And I have no idea what 'rotate' means, OR the number of log files.
4. plesk needs a LOT of work to make it user intuitive and usable.......A LOT of work
5. Entirely TOO MANY software packages and website applications are created in a VACUUM!
What that means is the programmers get ZERO input from the people that are actually gonna use the garbage they create, no matter HOW 'pretty' it is.....and how much it impresses upper management/whotfever, so they can justify their pay and their fees for their 'program'.

z

Last edited:
This is a related issue I ran into last week. It doesn't seem to be getting addressed:
Nginx SSL access logs not rotated according to GUI settings -- fail2ban suffers

For your questions:
  • Rotate log files: When a log file reaches a certain size, OR when a log file is a certain age, it is "rotated" by copying the file and starting a new log — a way of archiving logs. Each time the new empty log is created, the replaced log is copied into a new file like "error_log.1" and "error_log.2" etc, etc... You can specify that the archived log get compressed as well, making them "err_log.1.gz" etc, etc...

• Number of log files: This setting lets you limit the number of log file "archives" the server keeps. Any logs exceeding this number are deleted completely.
My issue is that at least one non-custom log file does not get rotated according to the settings specified by the user.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Info GJ!!.......Now I understand a little better........I'm going to change that log files number to 3 or so.....

What exactly do you change to solve that other issue you discovered about the log file that doesn't get rotated?

z

Back