• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to manually install Imagemagick ?

AndreasY

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

have spent several hours following instructions for other Windows based solutions for using php i.e. WAMP, on how to install imagemagick but have not made any real head way.

These are the 'clearest' instructions I have found so far

How to install ImageMagick and imagick on Windows server (Working 100%) - Social Engine 4 Mods & Tutorials - Social Engine Forum

But the last step is not relevant to Plesk as we are requested to copy the Imagick binaries files to the apache/bin folder which does not exist for Plesk.

So how can we get Imagemagick to work on our server ??

Thanks

It is strange that you have not found Plesk KB articles related to Imagick on Plesk Windows server.
Check this one, for example Plesk Help Center

It is strange that you have not found Plesk KB articles related to Imagick on Plesk Windows server.
Check this one, for example Plesk Help Center
Hi Igor, I dont have access to that resource, thats why I could never find it!

** edit **
Ignore im stupid!

** edit2 **
Not so stupid!
The link is this
Plesk Help Center

and I am being asked for login credentials to view it

** edit3 **

oops 404
You're not authorized to access this page

Huh, whats all this about ?

Last edited:
Igor,

do you receive a 404 page to the article ??

support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/213949885

** edit **
from here

support.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/216954207-Forwarding-your-incoming-support-email-to-Zendesk-using-Outlook-Exchange

Looks like this is not an 'authorization issue'

zendesk must be using the same software for their report requests

The plesk article does look like its a 404, what is the next step for us to access this article, who must we contact for it to be fixed ????

The solution is risky as it can lead to incompatibility between PHP extension shipped with Plesk and ImageMagick core libraries.

Prerequisites

To determine which version of ImageMagick should be used, run following commands with the PHP, which will have this module installed (for demonstration purpose, Plesk PHP 7.1 will be used):

1. Determine PHP architecture:

"%plesk_dir%\Additional\PleskPHP71\php.exe" -i | findstr "Architecture"
    Architecture => x64

2. Check if PHP is thread-safe:

"%plesk_dir%\Additional\PleskPHP71\php.exe" -i | findstr "Thread Safety"
    Thread Safety => disabled
Installation
  1. Download the ImageMagick archive with the version 6.9.3 with an appropriate architecture (x32 or x64) from php.net

2. Unpack it to C:\ImageMagick.

3. Download the latest stable PHP Imagick DLL from PECL repository, according to the thread safety and architecture of PHP;

4. Copy the php_imagick.dll file into the %plesk_dir%Additional\PleskPHPxx\ext folder, where xx should be substituted by the desired PHP version;

5. Append the configuration file, %plesk_dir%Additional\PleskPHPxx\php.ini with the following entry:

extension=php_imagick.dll

6. Prepend the PATH environmental variable in Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Environment Variables > System variables > Path with the following value:

C:\ImageMagick\bin;

Warning: Do not remove existing values from this variable.

7. Grant IIS_IUSRS group with 'Read & Execute' permission to C:\ImageMagick and all subfolders and files;

8. Recycle IIS Application Pools in Domains > example.com > Dedicated IIS Application Pool for Website > Recycle for all affected domains to load Imagick PHP module.
Verification

If the ImageMagick is loaded correctly, the phpinfo page will have a imagick section with the correct amount of supported formats:
ImageMagick number of supported formats: 234

Note: To invoke the phpinfo page for a domain navigate to Domains > example.com > PHP Settings > View the phpinfo() page

Hi Igor,

thanks for posting those instructions, I have managed to install the Imagick extension however the instructions need ammending as there are several facets missing!

1. Download the ImageMagick archive with the version 6.9.3 with an appropriate architecture (x32 or x64) from php.net

Here we have to select from two different versions for each architecture (x86, x64) that are all 6.9.3-x, but they are either vc11 or vc14.

There is no mention of which version we need to use in the 'Plesk Help Center' resource!

Answer: to determine which version (vc11 or vc14) we need to look at the top of php.info and look at the compiler version, i.e. MSVC14 would need vc14, MSVC11 would need vc11.

Also, another 'issue' with the first step is that it does not explain which architecture we need to use which is another source of confusion, this should not be the case!

So the instructions should make it clear which version of the ImageMagick application and stable PHP DLL should be used

3.Download the latest stable PHP Imagick DLL from PECL repository, according to the thread safety and architecture of PHP;

Again, the instructions do not paint a clear picture!

So we have determined the architecture and if we need to use thread safe or not, but the instructions do not say if the DLL we should use is the x86 version or the x64 version.

The answer for an x64 OS is that we need to use the x64 version, even though we are going to place this DLL into the Plesk directory that is located in the "Program Files (x86)" directory.

Whenever to use x64 or x86 could have been made very clear from the offset

i.e.

If you are using an x64 OS you must use the x64 equivalent software, irrespective that Plesk is installed in the "Program Files (x86)" directory

Anyhow, hope this information may help some other Plesk user from waisting countless hours, because either the 'Plesk Help Center' resource is 404 or the 'Plesk Help Center' resource is half baked

This is proving to be extremely frustrating!

The imagick extension was loading properly (php.info showed this).

But it was not functioning properly (WordPress), so after another two hours of troubleshooting (with no positive result) I reverted all changes to a 'working state' and now the imagick extension is not loading properly.

Typical just typical ...........

** edit **
Triggered it to come alive by simply changing any value in the domains php settings saving and then reverting

Finally its working, but as per usual we have to use ancient PHP version 5.6 .............

So for this case a working scenario is as follows

Plesk Onyx: Version 17.5.3 Update #54

Files
ImageMagick-6.9.3-7-vc11-x86.zip
php_imagick-3.4.3-5.6-nts-vc11-x86.zip
gs923w32.exe

Locations
ImageMagick-6.9.3-7-vc11-x86.zip --> extract to C:\ImageMagick --> set permissions on the bin folder --> set system variables path to C:\ImageMagick\bin
php_imagick-3.4.3-5.6-nts-vc11-x86.zip --> extract only php_imagick.dll to --> C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\Additional\PleskPHP56\ext
gs923w32.exe --> extract to C:\gs9.23 --> set permissions on the bin folder --> set system variables path to C:\gs9.23\bin

Procedure
Tools & Settings --> PHP Settings --> Click on 5.6.37 FastCGI application --> Click on PHP.ini tab --> Click OK

For reasons unknown to me PHP 7.0/7.1 do not work

php.info detects that imagick is available as an extension, but when using it in WordPress (4.9.7) uploading any sort of PDF results in a 'HTTP error'

Updated Plesk last night

Plesk Onyx: Version 17.8.11 Update #15

Situation remains the same, imagick only works with PHP 5.6

Really hope that a solution is made available so that PHP 7.0+ can work with imagick.

FYI

The solution is risky as it can lead to incompatibility between PHP extension shipped with Plesk and ImageMagick core libraries.

I disabled all the extensions (except mysqli) in PHP 7.0/7.1 and the issue remains, so unless its mysqli causing the issue, that imagick is not working on PHP 7+ has nothing to do with incompatibility between PHP extensions shipped with Plesk.

Triggered it to come alive by simply changing any value in the domains php settings saving and then reverting
So a restart of apache was done ....

I you do such stuff, it might be an idea to reboot the system completely before testing any functionality. That will also prevent you from a broken system after the next reboot for OS patches. It is better the system fails while you are working on it as somewhen later where then probably nobody realizes what happened and it is assumed then the OS patch killed the system.

i registered here specifically to thanks @IgorG on his reply. However, there's a piece missing in the instructions that i found elsewhere, and i managed to have ImageMagick working on my Windows Server with Plesk and PHP 7.4.

Check out this page:

you actually have to follow the instructions provided below download section, and i managed to have ImageMagick working by specifically following point 2:

2. Extract from ImageMagick-….zip the DLL files located in the bin folder that start with CORE_RL or IM_MOD_RL, and save them to the PHP root directory (where you have php.exe), or to a directory in your PATH variable

Good luck.

Back