• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to migrate from cPanel to Plesk on same server?

SebastianSamuel

New Pleskian
Hi,

I did a search of the sub for "migrate" and "migration" but found nothing. I hope someone can help me.

I've used cPanel for the last 20 years but their latest pricing changes are predatory and I'm looking to move away ASAP.

Plesk being the next most popular panel is of course an easy transition choice but I'm wondering about migration from cPanel to Plesk in the same server. I see Plesk has an official migration tool addon that can migrate from cPanel to Plesk but all the official documentation I can find is talking about using it to migrate from a server with cPanel installed over to a separate server with Plesk installed.

Is there an easy way to go about making this migration on the same system?

I must say that, firstly, we have never tested such a migration. I’m afraid that installing Plesk in parallel with the cPanel running on the server is completely impossible.

Secondly, you must understand that the current migration procedure from cPanel to Plesk is incomplete. Many objects, attributes, special settings from the cPanel still do not migrate. But note that the migration from Plesk to cPanel works much worse.

Theoretically, I imagine the following option. You install the virtual machine on your cPanel server and install Plesk Obsidian in it. After that, you migrate your cPanel using Plesk Migration Manager. Then make a full backup of the Plesk to an external server (ftp, cloud, etc). Next, you need to perform a clean install of Plesk on this server and restore your backup.

Back