• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to point multiple domain names to one Website

stevemartin

Basic Pleskian
hi how can i host or point multiple domain names to one Website

i have domain.com website need to open same for domain.net and domain .org

hi how can i host or point multiple domain names to one Website

i have domain.com website need to open same for domain.net and domain .org

Hello,
if you want to use multiple domain, you just have to add them in your subscription and set the same root folder than the main domain.
Otherwise, if you want a redirection, you can add them as domain aliases.

Yup, what the above person said. You can also setup forwarding from the domain registrar as an alternative route.

Hello,
if you want to use multiple domain, you just have to add them in your subscription and set the same root folder than the main domain.
Otherwise, if you want a redirection, you can add them as domain aliases.
The most obvious route would be to use an alias.
I wouldn't call that a "redirection".
It's an "alias"... another name for the same thing.
A forwarding is a redirection.

The most obvious route would be to use an alias.
I wouldn't call that a "redirection".
It's an "alias"... another name for the same thing.
A forwarding is a redirection.

I wasn't sure about the proper term, but it's not easy to explain because domain aliases can be used with/without a 301 redirection in Plesk.
And alias are not the best option for multisite/multi-domain instances running with WordPress , Prestashop or Magento,

I wasn't sure about the proper term, but it's not easy to explain because domain aliases can be used with/without a 301 redirection in Plesk.

The words alias and redirection are common English words and are not used in IT exclusively. You probably know that, but I just want to stress that fact.

If "Apache" would be using the word "alias" and then doing in fact a redirection they would be wrong.
But Apache (and Plesk) used it properly and so should we.
Plesk did give some ambigous feel with that optional redirection, but it is an extra option and that option is named redirection. So, imho "all is well" there too.

And alias are not the best option for multisite/multi-domain instances running with WordPress , Prestashop or Magento,

True, but that is out of the scope of the OP's question.
He did say he wanted to use more than 1 domain for 1 site.
If Wordpress then decides to redirect it all to 1 domain it becomes a "Wordpress problem".

But let's not quibble over details. I think we all agree here.

Last edited:
I am a Wordpress web developer with more than forty client sites, including multisites in both sub-directory and sub-domain formats. I moved my hosting to a Plesk VPS a couple of years ago. I have a customer who now wants to use specific domain names in their existing multisite.

I have obtained those domains for them, and completed the DNS which included making them aliases to the main domain, as advised by my hosting support prior to embarking on the project. Having not domain-mapped a multisite on Plesk before, I have hit a few teething issues that I am currently working through, one of which I believe may be server-based.

Having asked a question of my hosting company, they have now replied that I cannot use aliasing and have to completely change the DNS set-up. In fact, they seem to be trying to point me away from mapping within Wordpress altogether, which rather defeats the object.

So I read the Plesk support guide entitled "How to set up multisite WordPress network" here How to set up multisite WordPress network which confirms the process I have followed thus far. In fact it says that aliasing is "the easiest way to do this" which raises a concern that my hosting support are diverting me to a process that they are more familiar with, rather than what I need. I certainly do not want to 'change the world' at this late stage just to overcome minor issues.

However, there is one aspect of this guide that does not quite make sense - at Step 4 it says that we should install the WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin and configure it according to the instructions. I have not used this plugin because, since Version 4.5, Wordpress has had native domain mapping - their Codex also states that the plugin is not required post 4.5. On their plugin page, Wordpress.org advises that it has not been updated for two years and has only been tested up to Wordpress 4.7.11, which seems to confirm that it is no longer supported.

Can anyone please advise if the Plesk Onyx set-up dictates that it is still necessary to use this plugin, or if there is a different Plesk process for later Wordpress versions?

Set-up being used: Plesk Onyx 17.8, CentOs Linux 7.4, PHP 5.6.36, Wordpress 4.9.7

Back