• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue how to remove a FTP user manually (cant remove from plesk ui)

raykai

Basic Pleskian
i tried removing a FTP user but i got a error saying the user was in use .... then it removed the user from the plesk panel but i can still log in using the same user and password. (even after a server restart)

i cant retry deleting this FTP user from plesk panel as the name is not in the list.

so how can i manually remove a FTP user ?

Hi raykai,

the linux command "deluser" or "userdel" in combination with the username removes the user from your system. Pls. use the "--help" - string option within a SSH - command on linux systems, to get additional informations/options for the command.

Pls. read and bookmark as well: => http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/index.html

thx for the fast reply

but even after using deluser name of user then i get a message
Removing user `user name' ... Done

i still get a error when recreating this FTP user in plesk "User account already exists."

i can conferm that the user is gon from the file /etc/passwd

but some how plesk still sees the user some how.

dose plesk keep the names of ftp users in its DB ?

http://www.freetutorialssubmit.com/list-all-ftp-accounts-under-plesk-on-linux-server/1414

Last edited:
Hi raykai,

in some ( rare ) cases, the deletion process got interrupted and couldn't be finished as expected - you should consider to ( temporarily ) use the "debug" - level - mode for your Plesk Control Panel, in order to be able to get a more verbose output in the Plesk - logs. You could experience, that the user wasn't removed from "/etc/passwd" and you could as well experience, that the user wasn't deleted from the "psa" - database.

Suggestion:

Pls. connect to your MySQL - database - server, using the "psa" - database:
Code:
plesk db

Connected to your MySQL - database - server, you have now the option to search for the desired username with for example:
Code:
SELECT id FROM sys_users WHERE login="USERNAME";
This will print a unique ID for the stored "USERNAME", if it exists.
Still connected to your MySQL - database server, you might desire to delete that username, with the example command:
Code:
DELETE FROM sys_users WHERE login="USERNAME";

Exit your MySQL - database - server - connection with the command:
Code:
quit

Just for a fallow up im still having a bug every time i delete a FTP user i get this message :

7c1QgTv.jpg

"Unable to execute usermng: usermng: /usr/sbin/userdel execution failed:
userdel: user (username) is currently used by process 17009
usermng: Unable to delete user:"

I always need to manually ssh in and delete the user then i need to go in plesk DB and delete the user there too.

Is there a way to fix this ...

i see on this page that this issues should be fix but its not or at least not on my end.
https://kb.plesk.com/en/128570

Last edited:
Hi raykai,

by process 17009
If you see such a message, pls. consider to investigate immidiatly the process with the corresponding pid-file number ( here: 17009 ).

WHO runs the process?
WHICH command is used for that process?

Hint for your example message: => ps aux | grep 17009

Just for your notice:
Pls. be informed, that if the described issue appears for FTP - users, which used as well the Plesk file - manager, then such an issue could still appear, due to existent sessions, not being closed correctly, or/and not yet being deleted from the php - sessions. It would help if you describe in detail, what you did, step-by-step, from the creation command over your Plesk Control Panel, up to the deletion command over the Plesk Control Panel. Pls. don't forget to inform as well about log-in, log-out - processes, browser usage, ..... so really ALL steps, as if you would try to describe it to someone who is blind and you still want to inform him, about what you are doing. ;)

i think i have this bug as the fix was only for Plesk Onyx im still on Plesk version: 12.5.30 Update #55

so this mite be why all i know is if i switch the php-fpm processes to CGI/FastCGI then back to php-fpm befor deleting the user then i can delete the user with out having a error ... only thing is if the error pops up the username in the list disappears from plesk ui .... so then your stuck to remember the name and do it manually. fast fix would be to at lest keep the name in the plesk panel when the error shows up so we can re try after switching the php processes.

il try and do a test and il try and described step-by-step only if the fix was all so done for 12.5.30 if not then its just the same bug.

on an other note is it safe for production use to upgrade to Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 from 12.5.30 Update #55 ?

Back