• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question How to reset mysql admin password ?

AdrianC

Basic Pleskian
On Plesk 17.5.3 CentOS 7 1705170317.16

I imported some external mysql dump without realizing it also contained queries that altered mysql configurations (users, settings, etc).

When I login to plesk web interface I get this:

Code:
ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Additionally, an exception has occurred while trying to report this error: Zend_Exception
No entry is registered for key 'translate' (Abstract.php:144)

Search for related Knowledge Base articles

Mysql log says
Code:
170803 21:24:05 [ERROR] Incorrect definition of table mysql.event: expected column 'sql_mode' at position 14 to have type set('REAL_AS_FLOAT','PIPES_AS_CONCAT','ANSI_QUOTES','IGNORE_SPACE' 
[...]
[ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler.
170803 21:24:05 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.

I assume the queries did some damage and I would like at least to reset mysql password so that I can login and export my databases to move to a fresh plesk instalation. I have around 20 databases on this server.

How can I reset the admin password for mysql ? I tried many commands from plesk articles but most of them somehow assume I am already logged in as admin in mysql, e.g

Code:
plesk bin database --update-dbuser
SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user 'admin'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
exit status 3

Hi AdrianC,

as you don't provide informations, WHAT you did and WHICH article you read, I will point you to the actual and valid KB - article for your question:

How can I reset the admin password for mysql ?

Pls. visit: => How to get or reset password for admin account in Plesk

If you experience any issues/errors/problems, when following the suggestions/resolutions, pls. do not hesitate to tell us WHICH issues/errors/problems appear after you performed WHICH commands, so that people willing to help you can guide you to your next steps after they have been able to investigate your issue/error/problem. :)

Hi UFHH01
I was able to set parameter skip-grant-tables in /etc/my.cnf, then restarted mysql full server with reboot command and now I can run mysql commands without getting 'Access denied for user'
Plesk interface loads too.

Now I assume I need a command to set a certain password for mysql user "admin" AND another command to tell plesk to use this same password to connect to mysql database, correct ? What command is that ?

I looked in above article too but I am not sure that is what I need.
From another article I tried this:

Code:
plesk bin database --update-dbuser
Unrecognized option: '--update-dbuser'

Last edited:
UFHH01 , I hope you can still guide me, I think I made some progress, I got to running:
Code:
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('AES-128-****==') WHERE User='admin';
(using password from /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) but the query said that were 0 rows affected, and I see no "admin" if I list mysql users, should I create it (by what cmd ?) or does plesk use 'root' ?

Hi AdrianC,

for Plesk Onyx, after you ( successfully ) logged in as user "root" over SSH, pls. use the command:
Code:
cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow
The encrypted, stored password is now displayed on your command line! ( something like: "$AES-128-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" )

Pls. connect to your "mysql" - database, using the command:
Code:
mysql -uadmin mysql
You should now being logged in at your database - server and are using the "mysql" - database.​

Now pls. change your stored "admin" - password with the command:
Code:
UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('YOUR_VERY_OWN_ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD_FOR_ADMIN-USER_ON_YOUR_SYSTEM') WHERE User='admin';

Afterwards, pls. use the commands:
Code:
GRANT GRANT OPTION ON *.* TO 'admin'@'localhost' WITH GRANT OPTION; FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

exit
... and re-change the "skip-grant-tables" option in your "my.cnf".​

Now restart your MySQL - server. pls. !​

Afterwards, pls. use the command:
Code:
export PSA_PASSWORD=YOUR_NEW_PASSWORD
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/ch_admin_passwd
... which changes the password to "YOUR_NEW_PASSWORD".

OR ( !!! )

use the command:
Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/admin –get-login-link
... to get a temporary link for your Plesk Control Panel, to change the password for your user "admin" over your Plesk Control Panel.​

Additional note:
I imported some external mysql dump without realizing it also contained queries that altered mysql configurations (users, settings, etc).
Pls. consider as well to import a previous DAILY dump for your "mysql" - database ( pls. see: => "/var/lib/psa/dumps" ), if you experience further issues/errors/problems. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ufhh01 I appreciate the detailed answers but my main problem now was that I have no "admin" user in mysql users table, and any "update admin user password" queries (as you included above) would fail.
I also looked at the mysql daily dumps you mentioned but I can't find the admin user record in them.

I am able to login to plesk and even phpmyadmin if I start with skip-grant-tables in /etc/my.cnf
So I tried to create it but it fails while --skip-grant-tables
Code:
CREATE USER 'admin'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'my_pass';
ERROR 1290 (HY000): The MariaDB server is running with the --skip-grant-tables option so it cannot execute this statement

So I am left with exporting all ~30 sites and db now and wipe the server because I cannot properly identify the problem and solution.

Back