• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to restore backup from /var/lib/psa/dumps using the command line

TimoViBritannia

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

I recently had to reinstall my server because of a failed update. I know would like to import a backup from Plesk 12.5 into Plesk 17 which is located under the /var/lib/psa/dumps directory. These are the local backups that Plesk did. Is it possible to import them using the gui oder the cli? The Plesk 17 installation is completely new and has only the webspace domain added.

The new Plesk installation has the same backup encryption password as the old one.

Thank you for your help,
Timo :)

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I have read that too. But I am not sure what the Backup-file name is. Because there are so so many files inside of the directory.

Thanks,
Timo

Hi TimoViBritannia,

a "Backup-file" - name is for example: "mysql.daily.dump.0.gz" , so your example - command would look like: plesk bin pleskrestore --restore "/var/lib/psa/dumps/mysql.daily.dump.0.gz"

... and IF you used password protection, you would use additionally:

-backup-password YOURPASSWORD

I always, get this error:
Unable to import file as dump: Unable to convert dump to current format because it too old. Is there somethink I can do to fix this?

Hi TimoViBritannia,

consider to use ADDITIONAL options in your "pleskrestore" - command:

-ignore-sign => Restores a backup file despite a corrupted signature.
-verbose => Enables the verbose restoration mode.
-debug => Enables debugging during restoration.

... and have a look at the corresponding log - file for your backup restore ( => "/var/log/plesk" )

Show backup - infos:

plesk bin pleskrestore --info /var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz

Check a backup:

plesk bin pleskrestore --check-backup /var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz

Apart from all suggestions, I know that the error - message "114: "Unable to convert dump to current format because it too old"," exists, but I never experienced such an issue. Maybe someone else can bring some lights here. ;)

The new Plesk installation has the same backup encryption password as the old one.
Hello.
In this case, you could copy content of /var/lib/psa/dumps (do not miss hidden '.discovered' folders) from the old server to new one. The new Plesk instance should show all backups in GUI.

Hi Sergey Prohorov,

would you mind explaining, what the root cause of the error "Unable to convert dump to current format because it too old" could be? And could you suggest as well, how someone might be able to solve such issues with the very same error message?

Actually, I am a bit confused by the filename /var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz. Because it does not match to standard backup filename:
- subscription backup made by GUI or pleskbackup without '-output-file' is located in '/var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/mydomain.de/' and consists of a lot of .tgz and one .xml file. In this case, pleskrestore should be called with a full path to the .xml file.
- subscription backup made by pleskbackup with -output-file option is one .tar file. In this case, pleskrestore should be called with a full path to the .tar file.
But we have .tgz which is located in an unexpected directory.

114: "Unable to convert dump to current format because it too old" is returned if the archive does not contain *_info_*.xml file or the root XML file does not match to schema /usr/local/psa/PMM/plesk.xsd. We may check the archive by 2 commands
'tar -tmv -zf /var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz | grep .xml' retrurns list of XML files.
'tar -tmv -zf var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz | grep .xml | awk '{print $6}' | tar -zxf var/lib/psa/dumps/mydomain.de/backup_1608130014_1608170014.tgz -v -T - | xargs xmllint --noout --schema /usr/local/psa/PMM/plesk.xsd $@' extracts them and validate.

Hi, I have a multi-domain backup of 80gb zip in tar can you unpack it then read it in backup manager to restore every single domain? The file is in / var / lib / psa / dumps but is not read by the backup list manager

file: backup_1709192305.tar

Hi Piero Meloni,

THIS thread has been marked as SOLVED and you already asked the very same question at: => #20 ( where the thread has been marked as solved as well ).

Pls. don't open ask the very same question at multiple threads and instead consider to open your very own thread in our forum. :)

Back