• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how to send mail to domain prior to DNS transfer

H

hpprod

Hey Ya'll -

I've got an issue I'm trying to figure out - we have been provisioning some customers on the same server that hosts our ticketing software and billing software.

Some of our accounts are provisioned, but DNS has not yet been submitted ... but when we send an email to that domain, it sees the domain locally on the server and since the mailboxes have not yet been created, the emails bounce.

How can you send email between two domains on the same server when one of the domains' DNS has not yet been transferred?

At one time, I thought that we only had to "disable" the mail service for that domain, and in doing so, the emails would not see the domain locally, and would thus go out into the internet and find the appropriate zone file. This doesn't seem to be working.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Fred McKinnon

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying, but if you wish the emails to still go from the local server out to an external server (where the domain still resides), then you remove the domain name from the /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts file. Then when you have the DNS transferred so the domain is live on your server, you will need to put the domain name back into the rcpthosts file and their email will be handled on your local server.

Back