• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

How to setup plesk as backup mailserver

S

schatje

How to setup plesk as backup mailserver if primary MX does not reached (down)

Example:
I have one domain.com hosted in psa, but not include mail, sometime my mailserver is down (cause powercut), so i want make a backup mail server on my psa, if primary MX is down, all email will be queue in psa, and if primary MX is up, all email already queued on psa will be transfered by qmail in psa

Thanks...
Schatje

Backup Mail MX Store And Forward

Your statement: "all email will be queue in psa", it will be Qmail doing the storing, not PSA

Your statement: "sometime my mailserver is down (cause powercut)", UPS's are not that expensive

Procedure / Rationale:

Need to add 2nd MX record to domain's DNS.
- do this in the control panel

Need to leave Plesk settings for the domain the same (ie. do not turn on Mail functions)

Need to modify Qmail control files directly using SSH root login. Use a LINUX editor, not a Windows editor!!

/var/qmail/control/smtproutes
- if the domain is not already listed, then add it to this file
- this will tell Qmail where to send the queued messages for the domain
- one domain per line, example: somedomain.tld:ip.add.re.ss:25
- 3 pieces of info separated by colon characters, no spaces, lowercase.

/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
- if the domain is not already listed, then add it to this file
- if the domain is not in this file, Qmail will reject messages for this domain
- one domain per line, example: somedomain.tld
- self explanatory

/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
- if the domain is listed in this file, remove it
- if the domain is listed, then Qmail will try to deliver the messages to Maildir on the local server
- we do not want local delivery to Maildir

For additional information, please use the forum search, I and others have posted about this numerous times.

This basic procedure should be the same on any Qmail driven server regardless of Plesk usage or not.

References:
http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=26113&highlight=store+AND+forward

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?postid=116951#post116951

AtomicRocketTurtle's Project Gamera (parts)

Your statement: "all email will be queue in psa", it will be Qmail doing the storing, not PSA
Yes.. i mean qmail in my server installed psa :D

Your statement: "sometime my mailserver is down (cause powercut)", UPS's are not that expensive
In my place powercut sometimes is one day, soo bad :eek:

Thanks for your info, before i am ask, i was try 2 step (step 1 and 2) but i dont remove the domain from /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains so all email is delivered local

And now its working

Schatje

Glad to hear it's working.
In my place powercut sometimes is one day, soo bad
Ouch! Then a UPS to handle that time would cost a bit more. I think I have one personal server who's Leibert UPS+batteries shows estimated runtime of almost 4000 minutes (60+ hours), I do wish I could put the same on all the servers, but would cost too much for the extra battery packs :) But DataCenters usually have backup generators as well, so I cannot justify the extra cost...

Back