• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to upgrade an alias domain to main domain

luc

New Pleskian
Hi,
I have a main domain "domain.info" and an alias "domain.org" with a wordpress installation on a dedicated IP.
Now, I would change domain.org as main domain, because I don't use anymore domain.info.
How can I do it without affecting the wordpress installation and the database?
Can I just change the domain name in domain.info hosting setting?
thanks for support
----------
Plesk Onyx 17.8

Let make me clear,
You want to move one domain to another.

1. Just copy all files to your new destination from the old site.
  2. Keep your databasefiles at your server. You can use this also by the other domain at Plesk Onyx by selecting the correct database at domains.
  3. Empty the old domain and put a ".htaccess" file into your old root file of that domain and forward this to the new domain. There are possibilities to forward the pages by a 301 redirect exactly to a other TLD. A lot of examples are there on the internet.

Hi,
I have a main domain "domain.info" and an alias "domain.org" with a wordpress installation on a dedicated IP.
Now, I would change domain.org as main domain, because I don't use anymore domain.info.
How can I do it without affecting the wordpress installation and the database?
Can I just change the domain name in domain.info hosting setting?
thanks for support
----------
Plesk Onyx 17.8

Last edited:
Let make me clear,

2. Keep your databasefiles at your server. You can use this also by the other domain at Plesk Onyx by selecting the correct database at domains.
  3. Empty the old domain and put a ".htaccess" file into your old root file of that domain and forward this to the new domain. There are possibilities to forward the pages by a 301 redirect exactly to a other TLD. A lot of examples are there on the internet.
Looks like this is not my case.
In my scenario the main domain and the alias domain share same folder and database. So I shouldn't need move any file or database because I would change only the main domain name of the virtual site.

Step 1) Change the Alias domain name to something you won't want to use, a kind of temporary domain name.
Step 2) Change the main domain to the former alias domain name.
Step 3) Change the temporary domain name to the former main domain name.

Step 1) Change the Alias domain name to something you won't want to use, a kind of temporary domain name.
Step 2) Change the main domain to the former alias domain name.
Step 3) Change the temporary domain name to the former main domain name.

I'll try it

Let make me clear,

When you try to make a domain alias itself of another domain, the alias domain's content are deleted!! So it's a big hassle

Back