• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Howto change the log file path for Postfix

Ruhrpottjung

New Pleskian
Hello,

I google now a lot, but don't find a solution for my Problem and so I hope that I find here one.

I want change the log file path from /user/local/psa/var/log/maillog to /var/log/mail.log.
My question is now, how can I change the standard plesk log file path for the postfix log files ?

Thank you for the answers and excuse me my maybe badly english.

Greetings
Hans

Could you please clarify a necessity of this log replacing?

Of course I can :)
Some scripts using the normal place for the log file into /var/log/. For example pflogsum, mail graph etc.
So I want have the log files at the place where the most scripts await it. also it's more easy to make a tail -f /var/log/mail.log then a /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

And because I don't want change the path into all scripts I use with the plesk path I asked how to change it.

/usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog log is log file not only for Postfix but for whole mailsystem - spam protection filters, pop3 and imap connections, antivirus and so on. This log is used by Plesk for traffic mail calculation and for other statistics. Therefore relocation of main mail log can lead to unpredictable consequences in Plesk operation.

ok and how to create a second mail.log into /var/log?
I know that this will be used for anti spam, antivirus and other things, but my needs are that I have a log file also on the standard debian place. And of course that will be not into the plesk folder.

That was the reason why I ask here.

How about creating a symlink from /var/log/pleskmaillog to /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog ?
In fact there's usually already one at /var/log/psa/maillog to /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog

Note that I don't know the consequences of doing so - check that you don't have something that tries to rotate everything in /var/log/ automatically -- you might end up with a situation where logrotate tries to rotate the same file twice. I can't imagine this would be the case -- I'm just pointing out a possibility.

Why not just set up an appropriate rule in your syslog (or alternative daemon) configuration?

E.g. for rsyslog you just add something like in /etc/rsyslog.conf:

mail.* -/var/log/mail.all

Thank you

Why not just set up an appropriate rule in your syslog (or alternative daemon) configuration?

Don't understand what you mean with that?

The point is that I need for example for pflogsum also a mail rotation, means want to see by get a mail with all important details about the mail server for example what I had last time that I always saw that mail was bouncing and I saw that a local mailer send a looping mail. Also using statistic tools like mailgraph. Else it would be not important for me if the mail.log is in /usr/local/... or in /var/log/. But maybe also a good suggestion for a future version of plesk, to integrate it. I saw that also webalizer can do this jobs. Else would be fine if I could also get integrated into plea the possibility to get pflogsum mails. I remember (because now using since 15 years parallels products (confixx / plesk) that in the first time also postgrey wasn't implemented into confix now it's a part or plesk.

But only a suggestion ;) Would make my life more easy.

Thank you for your help! (before I forget: must I delete the entry of plesk or can I have to entries (one with /var/log/mal.log and one with /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog)?)

before I forget: must I delete the entry of plesk or can I have to entries (one with /var/log/mal.log and one with /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog)?

You can have two entries. You should leave /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog as it is usually used by Support and also by Plesk to calculate mail usage statistics (if I'm not mistaken). Something else might rely on it too. It's hard to tell.

Hello,

that seems not to work I only have this here:

rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 745506 2012-07-04 19:05 mail.err.1
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 2668949 2012-07-04 19:05 mail.info.1
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 3307498 2012-07-04 19:05 mail.log.1
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 831624 2012-07-04 19:05 mail.warn.1
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 0 2012-07-01 17:20 mail.err
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 0 2012-07-01 17:20 mail.info
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 0 2012-07-01 17:20 mail.log
-rw-r----- 1 syslog adm 0 2012-07-01 17:20 mail.warn

why the mail.log.1 and not like said : mail.log

Thnx for the help.

Greetings
Hans

Seems OK to me.

mail.log.1 (and similarly numbered files) is a rotated version of mail.log, i.e. it contains old entries from it.

Hello,

do you look also at the date? the mail.log is from the 1st of July. So the mail.log.1 isn't a rotated version of mail.log (I think) Because else the date must be ±1 of the date from mail.log.1.

Maybe you had a date problem? :)

Does anything get logged in either of these files?

Anyway, post mail-related entries from your logging daemon configuration, as well as its name or configuration file name.

Back