• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

HOWTO: Upgrade to PHP 4.3.9 without breaking Plesk!

A

AbsolutelyFreeW

This is the 3rd contribution in the HOWTO series... Please contribute with your HOWTOs too!

1. Download the package and unzip it
2. Move your current Php folder elsewhere and put the new folder there instead with the same name.

CAUTION: Do NOT follow the install instructions in PHP and move the php.ini from systemroot. Do not replace php.ini there is no new things in there, at least not from 4.3.6

WARNING: if Plesk should break, This is what Plesk does to detect the PHP installation. Look into the systemroot folder for php.ini, look for the extensions folder in php.ini, look for php.exe in the extensions folder, do a version check on it. Check that your php.ini is in systemroot, check that it has the extension folder specified. If it does not have a php.exe in there (very likely) copy one from the main php folder to it.

LAST but not LEAST: It will not work until you restart plesk properly. Restart it from services. Restart Plesk management service, (which restarts two other plesk services as well) and restart the control panel service.

CHECK:
1. Run a script with phpinfo() and check that 4.3.9 is installed
2. Look into plesk control panel --> component info and see that you see php 4.3.9 installed

a few other things I forgot to mention:

1. Of course, do not forget to put the right permissions on your php folder for plesk to run it

2. If you have installed plesk on "program files" or any path with spaces in them, change the paths given in your php.ini for extensions to the non-space equivalent. e.g. C:\PROGRA~1\SWsoft\

3. If restarting just the management service doesn't work, restart all services, using plesk service control panel

I've just updated to PHP 4.3.10 following this thread and now PHP won't work!

All the paths are right, what could be wrong?

What permissions does the PHP folder need and which usr account?

Originally posted by I-Web
I've just updated to PHP 4.3.10 following this thread and now PHP won't work!

All the paths are right, what could be wrong?

What permissions does the PHP folder need and which usr account?

I reinstalled to C:\PHP and all is fine... will all the Plesk users be able to use it ok?

we haven't upgraded to 4.3.10 yet. Your problem might be that 4.3.10 also need the new zend optimizer. Other than that, your php will most probably not be recognized by plesk if you didn't follow everything said. but they may be able to use it regardless. check the component info in the server page of the control panel.

I upgraded the Zender Opt first...then installed PHP ...

Originally posted by AbsolutelyFreeW
.... check the component info in the server page of the control panel.

PHP wasn't listed, although is installed on the server.

Something odd is now happening!

PHP 4.3.10 is installed with the new Zend Optimizer but it only works on some sites!

When I view a domain's setup it shows PHP as:

PHP support [tick] (Component was not installed)

Any ideas, considering the problems I had above?

hard for me to tell from here. You just need to do it right, and if it doesnt work just keep doing it by trial and error. If you want I can try to fix it for you for an agreed amount.

I followed the instructions again and all is now fine, no reinstall was needed just checking of the paths...

Thanks for the offer anyway. ;)

Thank you, AbsolutelyFreeW.

We are working on our updates generator. Unfortunatelly, it is not completely ready so we should do some routine work to create update and it takes some time.
We created hotfix to update PHP up to 4.3.10. Download it using the following URL:
http://download1.sw-soft.com/Plesk/Plesk7/Windows/hotfix_04122816.msi
It can be applied on 7.0.3 and 6.5.2

But it doesn't fix problem with php.ini in %systemroot% folder (usually c:\windows)
If path to extensions was broken, it will be broken after PHP upgrade by hotfix.
We'll try to do it for next PHP upgrade.
So if php.ini was changed manually, please follow instructions by AbsolutelyFreeW in the first posting.

Thank you.

Originally posted by I-Web
Bit confused what the Hotfix is for?

What does it fix?

sounds like a hotfix to upgrade to 4.3.10 for php to me

Done the hotfix upgrade and works good for me.

Best Regards.

Back