• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Huge Rant - Plesk Backup and Restore

D

Daniel Oakes

Okay, first of all I consider myself a pretty advanced system admin. I also own my own development company, but FFS parallels, can you tell me why your backup / restore functionality doesn't work.

I have a simple thing to do. Well I thought was simple. I have a new server and wish to migrate one of our current plesk 9 servers to it. Easy I thought. Yay. Migration Manager! NO! Okay fine.. move on, had my breakdown. pleskbackup and pleskrestore will work.

I'm not trying to achieve much here. I'm going to use plesk backup to backup the clients and restore them on the host.

So far I have tried these methods

1) pleskbackup and restore with an ip map file
2) pleskbackup and restore with a conflicts-resolution xml file
3) pleskbackup and restore without either (setting the host to the same ip)
4) Backup Manager / copy / create client and restore backup.

Method 1 - the IP map file no longer works. It doesn't do diddly. It always fails. I pared down the file to a pure IP map (cause that is all I need).

Method 2 - Says success but do you THINK I HAVE A RESTORATION? NO!!!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<resolve-conflicts-task-description>
        <conflict-resolution-rules>
                <policy>
                        <timing>
                                <resolution>
                                        <proceed-with-current/>
                                </resolution>
                        </timing>
                        <configuration>
                                <resolution>
                                        <automatic/>
                                </resolution>
                        </configuration>
                </policy>
                <rule conflict-id="0">

<!-- the dump-objects element is omitted in this conflict resolution rule since we chose the same resolution for all objects involved in the conflict -->

<resolution>
                                <overuse/>
                        </resolution>
                </rule>
        </conflict-resolution-rules>
</resolve-conflicts-task-description>

Followed your instructions step by step. Even did a multi domain multi conflict resolution file, right down to the letter. Works?? NO!

Method 3 - Some measure of success. Until I get a domain that apparently is going over it's allocated limit (no way, it's unlimited resource wise!!!). Conflict resolution file will not work. period. Even using the above file which is as per the docs btw.

Method 4 - Works as long as the IP is the same and there's no domain resources limit. But if anythign is not right, then I get stuck in a loop asking me to resolve domain limits etc, and with no way to override it.

parallels. I refused to pay you for support on something that is a fault with your product. You cannot say that I have not tried enough methods to make this work. You have enough of our money I just expect support on this.

If someone can tell me 100% how to transfer a working server to a new one, and their method works, I will pay you the money instead of parallels considering the large amount of time I have wasted on this already.

Congratulations Parallels.

I was hoping I was wrong and I'd see a reply here.

As I've said I refuse to pay for support on something that is not a problem with anything I've done, but your product not working correctly.

Provide a working solution.. please.

I totally agree it's not right to pay for something you are not responsible for doing.

Even Microsoft is not this bad!

I'm in the same boat - with a deadline to beat. I'm in the process of migrating from 8.2 to a new server running 9.0.1. What I thought was going to be (and should be!) a straightforward process has turned into hours and hours of frustration.

How could they release an upgrade that's missing CRITICAL components on paid for software? That's not even at the level of a beta release. Our only option is to hunt down buggy or incomplete workarounds and open support tickets - where I am now - that get answered "whenever."

Question. Will the next "upgrade" allow us to add domains and email accounts? Or should we start looking for workarounds from now?

Will be interesting to see whether this post gets moderated, like my last one.

I achieved this in the end by installing psa on the new server, and copying the /var/www/vhosts / /var/lib/mysql and /etc/psa directories to the new server.

Warning: both servers need to be running the same version of PSA, and also helps if the same modules are installed.

Please don't moderate posts Parallels. It's incredibly bad form. Openness is the best policy and you have to take the good with the bad.

Same here

Hi guys.

Plesk 9 backup is a mess .... Backup works. But what is backup if you can't restore ...

When I want to restore from the FTP repository, therefore, copy to the local server directory(as it seems you cannot restore a specific domain from a client backup directly from the ftp server), it gives me a "Permission denied error" message that I have no idea how to troubleshoot.

If anyone can help

Has anyone had any success with this ?? im struggling with the exact same thing. Ive logged TAC cases, they too can't actually get pleskrestore to work on our server and just said 'use migration manager' but I want to use server restore to restore a full backup not just content. Ive wasted soooo much time on this :-(

Hi guys.

Plesk 9 backup is a mess .... Backup works. But what is backup if you can't restore ...

When I want to restore from the FTP repository, therefore, copy to the local server directory(as it seems you cannot restore a specific domain from a client backup directly from the ftp server), it gives me a "Permission denied error" message that I have no idea how to troubleshoot.

If anyone can help

I have the same error !!!!

I agree

Parallels made the most stupid and unusable backup and restore tool ever with the Plesk 9 version. Whoever thought about implementing this solution is mad.

We want the old Plesk 8 backup and restore tool back Parallels! That had twitches as well from time to time but at least it worked.

Back