• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

I can't change my root account password - I'm told the old password is wrong...

PaulCutcliffe

New Pleskian
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Parallels Plesk Panel, 10.3.1, Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 Debian, PC/VMware ESXi.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Try to change root account password, told "Error: Unable to change the administrator's password: old password is incorrect. Please, try again.", although this is not the case.

ACTUAL RESULT
Unable to change root account password.

EXPECTED RESULT
Expect to be able to change root account password.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
None.

What do you mean? Where you have tried to change root password? And how Linux root password is related to Plesk?

My Plesk username is root...

... so it's my main administrator account, called root, that I want to change the password for.

I can log in as root with the password I know, but when I go into My Profile / Change Password, where I've just noticed it says 'Changing Administrator's Password', I enter the old password & my new password twice, & it says: 'Error: Unable to change the administrator's password: old password is incorrect. Please, try again.'

Try to change it with /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/ch_admin_passwd utility.

Can passwords have an underscore?

The password rules seem pretty strict, although it didn't mention underscores - are they allowed?

Usually password cannot contain quotation marks, white space, username. Underscore should be allowed.

Back