• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question I uploaded all of my website documents to Plesk panel but its working

Alwisimo

New Pleskian
Hello guys im newbie to all web development things and I developed a HTML and CSS based simple one page website and uploaded it to my Plesk panel. but when I search for my website in the internet it shows up a 404 error. I don't know how to fix it. can you explain the solution for me like explaining it to a "caveman" please?

A 404 error means that the requested document can't be found at the (web)server. There are couple of things that could be 'wrong'. I've listed to most common ones.

1. Your HTML files needs to be named index.html in order for the webserver to know it's the 'index' document it need to serve when someone tries to access your website. So if your HTML is named differently, rename it.

2. You HTML (named index.html) need to saved/uploaded/added to the httpdocs directory of your domain in Plesk. This the default "document" root. If it's in another directory the webserver cannot access the file.

3. I assume you registered a domain name for your website. Make sure that your also have DNS records for your domain that point to your Plesk server. Since your getting a 404 error your domain name already has DNS records setup (otherwise you would have gotten a different error). But perhaps the DNS records point to a different server? Consult your domain name provider if you are not sure.

Last edited:
A 404 error means that the requested document can't be found at the (web)server. There are couple of things 'wrong'. I've listed to most common ones.

1. Your HTML files needs to be named index.html in order for the webserver to know it's the 'index' document it need to serve when someone tries to access your website. So if your HTML is named differently, rename it.

2. You HTML (named index.html) need to saved/uploaded/added to the httpdocs directory of your domain in Plesk. This the default "document" root. If it's in another directory the webserver cannot access the file.

3. I assume you registered a domain name for your website. Make sure that your also have DNS records for your domain that point to your Plesk server. Since your getting a 404 error your domain name already has DNS records setup (otherwise you would have gotten a different error). But perhaps the DNS records point to a different server? Consult your domain name provider if you are not sure.

Ekran Resmi 2023-05-02 22.30.20.png

is this correct naming and placing?

edit: I removed all other files than index. and right now its working. but where I should place my background video and logos in this directory? and do I need to change the path of the videos in my index html file?

Deleted my last post because of latest update but anyways:

edit: I removed all other files than index. and right now its working. but where I should place my background video and logos in this directory? and do I need to change the path of the videos in my index html file?
They can be in the same httpdocs directory if you want, the path you set in the HTML will be the path that will show on the web itself (for example if the file is in the same directory as index.html then the path you set within the index.html would just be https://domain.tld/video.webm or simply /video.webm).

Also if that bosphorusloop.mp4 is going to be your background video I would highly recommend that you convert it to a webm format and try to get the file size as small as possible. You really don't want background images and movie files bigger then 5 MB (and honestly even at 5 MB is too large, aiming for under 1 MB is ideal).

Directory:

Ekran Resmi 2023-05-02 23.00.42.png

I think it's the path of video:

Ekran Resmi 2023-05-02 23.00.49.png

Inside My HTML Document:

Ekran Resmi 2023-05-02 23.01.05.png

With this method video background is not working And right now the page is only working on preview option. but if I visit the domain it's still 404 error.

Just like what Kaspar said, you need to be the URL path of your video, not directory path (I've mention that and provided examples in my first post too lol).

Also I think you forgot to set the type as well. The proper HTML tag iirc is something like the following

HTML:
<video autoplay loop muted class="videobg">
    <source src="/Bosphorusloop.webm" type="video/webm">
</video>

In your HTML you should use the URL of your video and not the directory path. So that would be something like yourdomain.com steht zum Verkauf - Sedo GmbH

Just like what Kaspar said, you need to be the URL path of your video, not directory path (I've mention that and provided examples in my first post too lol).

Also I think you forgot to set the type as well. The proper HTML tag iirc is something like the following

HTML:
<video autoplay loop muted class="videobg">
    <source src="/Bosphorusloop.webm" type="video/webm">
</video>

Hello Again,

I changed it like you said. right now the website is only visible in preview mode. how can I publish it? when I visit the domain I had for website is says 404 error.

Back