• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Importing databases into plesk/MSSQL

Ray

New Pleskian
Is there a standard/easy procedure for backing up a database from a non-plesk MS-SQL server (where user x is just DBO role) and importing it into a Plesk created database?

We have hundreds of sites directly in IIS/SQL that need to be migrated over and need something easy we can do from SSMS or Plesk control panel.

ANother way of saying this: Is there an easy way of importing a .bak file into A Plesk MSSQL database?

Hi Ray,

ANother way of saying this: Is there an easy way of importing a .bak file into A Plesk MSSQL database?
Pls. be informed, that a "*.bak" - file is just a file, renamed with the ending ".bak" to point out, that this is a BACKUP from the existing file. You should consider to ask the question again, naming the correct file - extension. ;)

I mean an MS SQL server device backup .bak file (as made by SSMS) of the database I want to import into Plesk. I thought that was clear from context. Apologies.
Using the .bak backup file would be one method, but I'd be happy with any solution that works.

Thanks for the help!
I did research the Plesk Migrator, but that's quite a bit of work, and it looked like it was intended for a server-wide migration which isn't my use case.

I've now done a few Database Migrations manually using the following method:

. Create the new MSSQL Database in Plesk to get the metadata (so Plesk knows about the database)
. Overwrite the database with a restore from the source DB server eg. from an MSSSQL server .bak or .bacpac file, depending, using SSMS
. Do a Plesk 'check and repair' on the database.

I don't know if it's a supported approach, or will later have issues, but right now that seems to work OK for my needs.

Back