• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Incorrect format of RTM_GETADDR request response

galaxy

Regular Pleskian
I have Plesk 11.5.30 in a container.
I've added several IP's to the container and am trying to get Plesk to see them.

I went into Tools -> IP Addresses and asked it to re-read the IP addresses and get the error:

Internal error: Incorrect format of RTM_GETADDR request response
Message Incorrect format of RTM_GETADDR request response
File Agent.php
Line 212
Type PleskUtilException

What does this mean and how can I fix this?

The issue caused that in `psa` database after deleting ip addresses exists links to not exist ip addresses. You can check it with:

select ip_pool.ip_address_id,IP_Addresses.id from ip_pool left join IP_Addresses on ip_pool.ip_address_id=IP_Addresses.id where IP_Addresses.id is NULL;

To fix the issue just removed them manually. Also be noticed that more safety way to delete ip adress from Plesk

# /usr/local/psa/bin/ipmanage --remove <ip_address>

mysql> select ip_pool.ip_address_id,IP_Addresses.id from ip_pool left join IP_Addresses on ip_pool.ip_address_id=IP_Addresses.id where IP_Addresses.id is NULL;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

I had previously deleted several IP's using the plesk interface. Those didn't exist on the container (and they showed broken with a repair link). Instead I just checked all those boxes and removed the IP's using the Plesk interface.

But now I've added additional IP's to the container and rebooted the container. Is there a limit of how many you can have?
I've added almost a full class C to it (about 235 addresses). I noticed that if I remove some, say 40 or 50, then it seems to be OK. But eventually I'd like to have about 400 IP's in there.

I see there's 182 unique IP addresses in there now.

mysql> select count(*) from ip_pool;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 348 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from IP_Addresses;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 182 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Last edited:
As far as I remember this error may occur due to limitation of possible number of IPs. It may be not more than 200.

Is that a Plesk limitation? OpenVZ allows me to add more IP's and ifconfig displays them all.
I believe Plesk had come with several options on how many domains you can add and it jumped from 300 then to unlimited. I have the unlimited license.
How can I get more IP's into Plesk? It appears OpenVZ allows me to have over 300 (haven't tried my goal of 500 yet).

I have checked and really, Plesk has limit to 256 IP addresses. We have corresponding bug (PPP-4424 for your reference) Bug will be fixed in upcoming Plesk 12 version.

Thanks, that's exactly the same error screen I get too.
But it comes up after 238 IP's, can't even get to 256.

Essentially everyone wants/needs dedicated IP's now.
And with spam blocking, IP sharing isn't good since it blocks all of the users that share that address.

Glad to hear it will be fixed in Plesk 12.

Just a FYI, it appears this issue came about with Plesk 10 or 11. Back in Plesk 9.5.4 I had about 400 IP's in there. However I had moved a block to another server and wanted to change the block on the Plesk server to be a contiguous CIDR block which is how I stumbled onto this. I just removed about 200 IP's yesterday (a whole class C network) that showed up as an error since they were no longer in the container.

Back