• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Increasing memory usage after local backup

mastrofreddy

New Pleskian
Hi,

I'm experiencing a very strange situation with my Plesk.
Every night my Plesk panel runs a complete backup of the server and, after that backup, the total memory usage starts increasing for all over the day up to the next backup. What warns me is the fact that every night the basal level of the memory usage increases.

I checked the ram usage and it seems that this increased memory usage is due to an increase in cache usage.

Do you have any suggestion?

A Linux RAM cache can grow to the max. Linux will automatically free cache space if new space is needed. It is perfectly o.k., if all RAM is "used up" by used and cached RAM.

Please clarify what you mean by "basal level of memory usage".

If you suspect hanging processes that consume memory, look for the string "pmm" in your process list, e.g.
ps aux | grep pmm
There should not be any processes with that partial string when backup or restore is not running.

A Linux RAM cache can grow to the max. Linux will automatically free cache space if new space is needed. It is perfectly o.k., if all RAM is "used up" by used and cached RAM.

Please clarify what you mean by "basal level of memory usage".

If you suspect hanging processes that consume memory, look for the string "pmm" in your process list, e.g.
ps aux | grep pmm
There should not be any processes with that partial string when backup or restore is not running.

Thank you for your answer Peter. I'm attaching an image of the Health Monitor just to clarify what I mean as "basal level of memory usage".
Schermata_2016_10_12_alle_11_43_47.png

This is the output of the command:

admin56+ 17021 0.0 0.0 112668 968 pts/4 S+ 11:38 0:00 grep --color=auto pmm

On an emtpy test machine of ours, with no load at all, we normally reach 30 GB of RAM usage. Normally on our other machines, RAM usage increases over the day and drops sharply on backup and maintenance at night, then increases again.

I think that 14 GB max RAM usage is "nothing" for a system under load. I suggest to monitor this another two days. You should also check your process list (ps aux) to see if there are processes that use a lot of memory. Maybe it's a different process that is causing an issue. It is probably not caused by the backup, and I am not sure whether this is an issue at all, because your RAM usage is very low in general.

Back