1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Installing from new Debian install - inetd error

Discussion in 'Plesk for Linux - 8.x and Older' started by evolutionms, Jan 27, 2007.

1. evolutionms

evolutionms Guest

I've installed from a fresh install of Debian 3 different times tonight only to run into the same problem every time. The error is shown below.

Setting up php4-common (4.3.10-18) ...
    Setting up libapache2-mod-php4 (4.3.10-18) ...
    Forcing reload of web server: Apache2.

Selecting previously deselected package psa-php4-configurator.
    (Reading database ... 39794 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking psa-php4-configurator (from .../psa-php4-configurator_1.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously deselected package psa.
    Unpacking psa (from .../psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb) ...
    Trying to define super-server internet daemon type... inetd
    Trying to check if inetd daemon is running... ERROR: no running inetd found
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb (--unpack):
    subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    ERROR: Install command execution failed
    Errors just before:
    - Can't execute package installation command

This happens even if I uninstall the openbsd-inetd package before install. This leaves me with 2 questions:

First, why is this happening, and

Second, what is the base build that Plesk developers are using for Debian builds?

When I build a debian box, I don't install it as a Desktop, Server, or anything else. To me that's a base build. If we know what the developers are using to test their installer, it would be easier to troubleshoot install problems.

2. Dmitry Frantsev

Dmitry Frantsev Golden Pleskian

57%
    As I know openbsd-inetd package should not be installed on the server otherwise Plesk installation fails. Actually, this information is included into release notes for Plesk: http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.1/Debian3.1/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061226.14_i386.html
    If you are going to install Plesk on Debian systems, make sure that the openbsd-inetd package is not installed on your system. Otherwise, the installation may fail.

After that try to install 'xinetd' package:
    # apt-get install xinetd

and then continue Plesk installation. Hope it helps.

3. evolutionms

evolutionms Guest

I had read the part about removing openbsd-inetd, but I didn't know about the xinetd install. Once I successfully removed that package and installed xinetd, it did in fact install cleanly. Thanks for the extra tip!