• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Installing from new Debian install - inetd error

E

evolutionms

I've installed from a fresh install of Debian 3 different times tonight only to run into the same problem every time. The error is shown below.

Setting up php4-common (4.3.10-18) ...
Setting up libapache2-mod-php4 (4.3.10-18) ...
Forcing reload of web server: Apache2.

Selecting previously deselected package psa-php4-configurator.
(Reading database ... 39794 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking psa-php4-configurator (from .../psa-php4-configurator_1.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package psa.
Unpacking psa (from .../psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb) ...
Trying to define super-server internet daemon type... inetd
Trying to check if inetd daemon is running... ERROR: no running inetd found
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb (--unpack):
subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061129.22_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
ERROR: Install command execution failed
Errors just before:
- Can't execute package installation command

This happens even if I uninstall the openbsd-inetd package before install. This leaves me with 2 questions:

First, why is this happening, and

Second, what is the base build that Plesk developers are using for Debian builds?

When I build a debian box, I don't install it as a Desktop, Server, or anything else. To me that's a base build. If we know what the developers are using to test their installer, it would be easier to troubleshoot install problems.

As I know openbsd-inetd package should not be installed on the server otherwise Plesk installation fails. Actually, this information is included into release notes for Plesk: http://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Plesk8.1/Debian3.1/psa_8.1.0-debian3.1.build81061226.14_i386.html
If you are going to install Plesk on Debian systems, make sure that the openbsd-inetd package is not installed on your system. Otherwise, the installation may fail.

After that try to install 'xinetd' package:
# apt-get install xinetd

and then continue Plesk installation. Hope it helps.

I had read the part about removing openbsd-inetd, but I didn't know about the xinetd install. Once I successfully removed that package and installed xinetd, it did in fact install cleanly. Thanks for the extra tip!

Back