• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Installing Owncast via Docker - Ports not exposed

Spanner_Man

New Pleskian
Hello,
What I am trying to do is to get Owncast running via a docker container within Plesk, and to use the Docker Proxy rules.

I've open an issue over on their github ( link ) but it seems what I assumed to be the issue isn't in fact the problem - that being their expose in a single line is what causes Plesk to bork out.

I grabbed the needed image via git clone https://github.com/owncast/owncast, changed the Dockerfile so that each EXPOSE is on its own seperate line and built the image with docker build --build-arg NAME=docker --build-arg VERSION=mytest -t my-plesk-owncast-test .

But alas, even doing that the Docker Extension fails to read the exposed ports even defined in the above mentioned edited Dockerfile

The logs clearly show both the original stock image plus the image with the modified Dockerfile both run correctly;

time="2021-10-09T23:40:09Z" level=info msg="Owncast vmytest-docker (20211009)"
time="2021-10-09T23:40:09Z" level=info msg="Video transcoder started using x264 with 1 stream variants."
time="2021-10-09T23:40:10Z" level=info msg="RTMP is accepting inbound streams on port 1935."
time="2021-10-09T23:40:10Z" level=info msg="Web server is listening on IP 0.0.0.0 port 8080."
time="2021-10-09T23:40:10Z" level=info msg="The web admin interface is available at /admin."
I already know about Unable to add Docker Proxy rules in Plesk, no container is displayed but as you can see even from their stock standard Dockerfile as well as the one with each EXPOSE on a seperate line ( as done here as well ).that is not the case - as both clearly have expose defined.

I am now at a loss as to what the actual issue is, or if in fact Plesk Docker Extension has some weird non standard rules to follow or whatnot that aren't standard to docker.

Product: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.46

I have the same problem.
When trying to run the owncast image (0.0.12) in the Plesk docker extension no manual port mapping is possible (ports 8080 and 1395).
I tried:
1. Rebuilding the image as mentioned by Spanner_Man and moving/changing the EXPOSE variable - but the Plesk extension cannot identify the ports.
2. I ran the normal image at the command line with the ports mapped and it started (docker run -d --name owncast -v /mnt/owncast_data:/app/data -m 1024m -p 8080:8080 -p 1935:1935 -it gabekangas/owncast:latest) and then I could also see the port parameters in the Plesk docker extension, start and stop the container. However, I cannot see the logs from the extension - only from the command line.

When I then try and reach the owncast server from a subdomain (owncast.mydomain.com) after adding 8080 to nginx at the owncast.mydomain.com root (NOT at owncast.mydomain.com/XXXX) I get an error. However, when I preview the site I see the owncast logo.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Sincerely

Update
Regarding the last part of my previous post - the issue was, as usual, DNS. After the subdomain resolved correctly the owncast server became accessible.

So it seems that you can force the manual port mapping to show up in Plesk if you run the container at the command line first with the stock image and the ports parameters set.

Back