• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue "Installing the Advanced Monitoring extension..." never ends

Azurel

Silver Pleskian
I want install "Advanced Monitoring" on

CentOS Linux 7.8.2003 (Core)
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.28 Update #3,

First the message "Installing the Advanced Monitoring extension..." never ends. After half a hour I re-login in plesk and find a new messagebox
Could not install the Advanced Monitoring extension
  • Task is not responding: id=3364, pid=12761, type=ext-catalog-install, count=1, name=Advanced Monitoring, packages=Array, redirect=Array, referrer=/modules/catalog/index.php/catalog/package/monitoring, runTaskUnderLogin=admin, status=Array, updateMode=

Go to extension don't show install button. I can open or remove und disable this extension.
After click "open" I get

Grafana / Server Error
Sadly something went wrong

login.OAuthLogin(missing saved state)

Check the Grafana server logs for the detailed error message.

After open extension "Advanced Monitoring" a second time.. its working.

What means "Any changes you make in these dashboards will not be saved."?

And after click on "cycle view mode" in Overview, only the button and filter-settings ara gone. What should the button do?

Hi Azurel,

After half a hour I re-login in plesk and find a new messagebox
Is it means that your session stopped working and you have to log in to Plesk again? Advanced Monitoring uses Grafana software as a "backed" for drawing graphs and provides some integration between Plesk and Grafana. When you install Advanced Monitoring, it also will install Grafana software in a standard way from package repository. If you have a slow channel to the repository, it could take some time because of downloading the required packages. But anyway that it happened, I never heard about this issue previously.

Also, I think that the stopped session in the browser could cause an issue with "login.OAuthLogin" but when you reopen an extension it regenerate required token and it starts working.

What means "Any changes you make in these dashboards will not be saved."?
As I mentioned previously, Advanced Monitoring uses Grafana software as a "backend". It means if you try changing something in Grafana directly (add new metrics or adjust thresholds), it could be overwritten by Advanced Monitoring in the future. It is better to use the "Settings" button of Advanced Monitoring. At the same time, if you really want to customize and use Grafana directly, it is also possible, check the last section of the page Grafana.

And after click on "cycle view mode" in Overview, only the button and filter-settings ara gone. What should the button do?
If I am not mistaken, you are asking about one of the Grafana's features. The page Playlist should explain more about how it works.

I logged in and first thing I do was install "Advanced Monitoring". After re-login in Plesk again first thing I do was open "Advanced Monitoring". So in both cases its impossible for expired sessions.

The messagebox make for me not so much sense in "Advanced Monitoring", its said "Any changes you make in these dashboards will not be saved." In "these dashboard" have for me nothing to do with external settings in Grafana. After fews Update this post, I think this is for add "widgets"(dashbaords) with customize (click on page title). This messagebox should be move to this setting overview. I don't get it. Why I can add "widgets", but not save it?

That Button is in "Advanced Monitoring", not Grafana. ;)
See https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/352403408264757248/738349345660862464/advanced_monitoring.gif

Yesterday after few minutes I disabled "Advanced Monitoring". Today I enabled it again and see full statistics. But this extension was disabled, why I have datas?

UPDATE:

The "Network" tab in "Advanced Monitoring" is not very helpful. In others stats tools like MRTG - The Multi Router Traffic Grapher I see here "Traffic Analysis" (Bytes per Second) and "Established TCP Connections" together with "Current Processes Running" its very helpful to detect attacks or page-downloader. ("Processes" is in CPU tab, its a little different from MRTG, there I have a peak of ~600, in AM its only ~350)
"Packets per Seconds" in "Advanced Monitoring" doesn't really ring a bell.

And "Services" tab includes Memory usages? Why is this not in "Memory" tab?

I would recommend to display problems also in the tabs or as a message box, so that you don't have to search for them first.
It would also help a lot to get tips here on what exactly the problem is and what you should do. For example I have a problem with "Mysql Memory usage", but what exactly is the problem?
The same applies to "Swap usage" which is managed by the system. What exactly would be the problem here?

UPDATE:

Okay, the settings for dashboard is very hidden. That "Grafana" Logo is a button, that "customize"-Button have no function its only a image, but the title right side is the real "customize"-button.
Click on Grafana-Logo open a window/overlay, thats impossible to close? I found no way.

Last edited:
That Button is in "Advanced Monitoring", not Grafana. ;)
Technically, it is Grafana that is shown inside the Advanced Monitoring page as an iframe ;)

Yesterday after few minutes I disabled "Advanced Monitoring". Today I enabled it again and see full statistics. But it was disabled?!
There are a few components, each of them doing a small piece of the whole process. [sw-]collectd collects information; Advanced Monitor configures Grafana and shows it in Plesk Panel; Grafana draws graphs and provides UI/UX for working with graphs. So, if you want to stop collecting metrics for graphs, you need to disable the "Collectd" service.
sw-collectd.png

You can create a threshold with some limit. If you do not expect that MySQL will consume more than 20% of memory but it happened, it means something goes wrong and need to investigate it (e.g. wrong service settings, lots of load/queries, etc.). If you think that a server has enough resources but it started actively swapping data to the disk, it again means that something goes wrong and need to find what causes this situation.

We are still working with Advanced Monitoring and have plans to rework tabs, to add additional metrics, and so on in the next releases.

Thank you, your feedback is really useful https://emojipedia.org/thumbs-up/ if you can add something more (e.g.: what metrics are you using to detect the issues in your environment, what tools?), it also helps us make Advanced Monitoring better!

I have installed Advanced Monitor now an CentOS 8.2. I can see Overview und Services, now I click on "Disk" and get this
unknown.png

After refresh page (press F5) this error disappears.

Back