• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved "Interface Controls Visibility"

Grhm

New Pleskian
Hi.
I'm quite new to this sort of thing.
I'm trying to follow the instructions in the support article entitled "Is it possible to forward all the mail sent to the domain on Plesk, including email to non-existent mailboxes, to a specific address?", which is here:
https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...non-existent-mailboxes-to-a-specific-address-
It's all fine up until step 7, but the dialog box for e-mail settings looks different from the one shown in the instructions, and there is no sign of the "what to do with mail for non-existent users" options.
Now, after a good two hours of thrashing about in every menu I could find looking for those blasted settings, and then another hour being unable to submit a request for technical support (or even to 'sign up' for or 'sign in' to the support request system) I found this comment, which appeared to hold the solution:
https://talk.plesk.com/threads/enable-catch-all-email-addresses.340446/
" ... Go to Plesk > Tools & Settings > Interface Management > Interface Controls Visibility, disable Hide controls for rejection messages for non-existent mail addresses and press OK."
...Except that in the Plesk menu there is no "Tools & Settings" option, nor "Interface Management", nor "Interface Controls Visibility". So I've now spent another good hour-and-a-half thrashing around in every menu I could find looking for those blasted settings. But they just aren't bloody there.
So I thought I'd ask here on this Forum.
I spent another half-hour composing this plea, only to be faced with yet another exasperating obstacle: the bewildering variety of sub-forums to choose from here!
The thing I log into on the web-host's site seems to be called "Obsidian 18.0.30", but I've no idea how to tell if it's running on Linux or Windows. I'm accessing it using an Android phone, if that helps.
What I'm trying to achieve is very simple!
I just want all the mail sent to my new domain forwarding to another address.
For pity's sake please somebody help me before I start planning the murder of Plesk executives.
Thanks.
Graham

Last edited:
"Tools & Settings" and "Interface Management" require the administrator view. Are you logged in to Plesk with the user name "admin"?

From your description it sounds as if you are not the administrator of the server. If the administrator has disabled the option to forward all mail not directed to an existing address, you need to contact to the server administrator to grant you that permission. Some providers might not allow this function though. Users love it, but providers struggle with it, because with this function all incoming spam will also be forwarded, which will cause the server to be blacklisted. This again will lead to a point where no customer on the same machine will be able to deliver mail to external recipients any longer. For that reason it is thinkable that your provider has disabled the catch-all function.

Bottom line: You'll need to speak to your provider. It's not a Plesk issue. The Plesk feature is there if the administrator wants it to be there.

Hi, Peter.
Thank you very much for the thorough and clear reply, which has made me feel slightly less homicidal...
I am logged in as 'admin', so it would appear that the provider/webhost has disabled the functionality, as you suggest, and I will have to take it up with them.
But, assuming they refuse to make an exception for me, is there any other way of tackling the problem?
A number of e-mail addresses on the domain in question have been printed in leaflets that have been delivered door-to-door in my town.
It's my experience that about 50% of the people who type in such addresses make typos.
Obviously there's no way of guarding against them typing the domain incorrectly, but I want to be sure that all mails sent to the domain are delivered, regardless of what gobbledygook has been typed before the '@'.
You say the probable reason that the provider has disabled the thing is that indiscriminate forwarding causes them problems.
So, is there a way of receiving them without forwarding them?
I could live with the mails not being forwarded anywhere, and having to log in to the webmail to view them.
Is this possible?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Graham

Last edited:
"I am logged in as 'admin', ..."
In this case, make sure you are in service provider view, not power user view. As an admin you can for sure access Tools & Settings.

Hi again, Peter.
I'm afraid I may have given you some duff info...
When I amend the web-site, it marks my posts as "admin", so I assumed that meant I was logged in as "admin".
It occurs to me now that this may not be the case.
Although I only have to log in once, is it possible that I have two different user-names, "admin" when I modify the web-site and something different when I use other features of Plesk?
(Supporting evidence for this hypothesis is the fact that when I first log in to the web-host's system, what I have to type into the 'username' field is not "admin", but the first eight characters of the domain name.)
Does this make sense?
Thanks.
Graham

You need to login to Plesk with a user name "admin", not into your website, like on a URL that looks similar to
https://<hostname>:8443

Thanks for that clarification.
The only login the web-host provides does indeed have a URL that ends with ':8443'.
I just tried logging-in as 'admin' as you suggested, and it said "Error: You have entered incorrect username or password."
So, as I surmised, it seems that I've not been granted 'admin' status in Plesk generally, but only in the website-editing part of it.
So I'll have to take it up with the web-host/provider, as you suggested initially.
Which takes us back to my previous question...
...assuming they refuse to make an exception for me, is there any other way of tackling the problem?
A number of e-mail addresses on the domain in question have been printed in leaflets that have been delivered door-to-door in my town.
It's my experience that about 50% of the people who type in such addresses make typos.
Obviously there's no way of guarding against them typing the domain incorrectly, but I want to be sure that all mails sent to the domain are delivered, regardless of what gobbledygook has been typed before the '@'.
You say the probable reason that the provider has disabled the thing is that indiscriminate forwarding causes them problems.
So, is there a way of receiving them without forwarding them?
I could live with the mails not being forwarded anywhere, and having to log in to the webmail to view them.
Is this possible?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Graham

OK. Thank you. I shall attempt to do that.
But my experience of this whole web-hosting thing has been a ghastly Kafkaesque nightmare; so I anticipate many more frustrating hours of running round in lonely circles and hitting my head repeatedly on blank, unyielding, technological walls... at the end of which I'm not optimistic that I'll have any satisfactory answers.
It was great to have a real human being on my side for a while who actually tried to help... so thank you very much, Peter!
But now it seems I'm back on my own.
Wish me luck.
If things don't work out I may start sharpening my axe again!

It's really only that one setting that your provider needs to give you a permission to use.

Hi, Peter.
Good news!
After several irksome and time-consuming false-starts I did eventually manage to get in contact with someone at the web-host who
(a) was prepared actually to read what I wrote,
(b) understood what was required,
(c) had the will to do something about it, and
(d) had been granted the necessary powers.
(It's extraordinary how many customer 'service' people you come across in organizations of all kinds who are unable to do their jobs because they lack one or more of those four necessities!)
So the e-mails are flowing properly again, the world's looking rosy, and the axe is back in its cupboard.
Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction.
Danke sehr!
Graham

Back