• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

(internal) DNS not working on our Plesk server

jva

New Pleskian
Hi,

I downloaded a Ubuntu 14.04 + Plesk 12.5 image from the Ubuntu site and just purchased a monthly leased license.

I just tried to update but it gives me an error: Plesk upgrade is not starting: Couldn't resolve host autoinstall.plesk.com

I found this which seems to fit my problem since I can ping IP-addresses but not hostnames: https://kb.plesk.com/en/121240
However it's solution does not match, or I misunderstand.

It tells me to open up /etc/resolv.conf and add a nameserver. However when I open that file it tells me specifically: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

Seems I need to edit my DNS settings elsewhere... But where?

Thanks!
Jim

Hi Jim,
You can add entries to /etc/resolv.conf but they will be overwritten on reboot.
To make it permanent you can add...
Code:
nameserver 127.0.0.1

To the file...
Code:
/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base

I'm not sure why yours is empty, it should be populated from...

- the dns-nameservers statement in /etc/network/interfaces
- automatically added when Bind starts or
- prepended during dhcp requests (this is less likely).

I hope that helps
Regards

Lloyd

Back