1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

IPv4 Shortage and Paralells H-Sphere / Parallels Plesk / Parallels MSP

Discussion in 'Plesk Automation' started by dynamicnet, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynamicnet

dynamicnet Basic Pleskian

90%
    Good day:

The end user control panel allows a customer to change from a shared IP to a dedicated IP at whim; and, without notification to the H-Sphere administrator.

More and more ISP's / data centers are getting extremely strict in the selling of IPv4 addresses. So strict that the only two uses for a dedicated IP address is for the public interface of a machine (and that IP should be shared with as many logical services as possible) and for web sites requiring a digital ID which is not expired.

Please update all of the Parallels hosting automation systems -- H-Sphere, Plesk, Multi-Server Plesk -- so that end users need to fill out an IPv4 justification form which needs to be approved by the H-Sphere administrator prior to the provisioning of an IP address.

Thank you.

2. Andrew Andriatis

Andrew Andriatis Regular Pleskian Plesk Team

57%
    Hi,
    May be I am missing something, but I don’t see how in PPA the end user can change the type of IP address. In PPA all addresses are assigned on the subscription level and cannot be chosen freely by the user.

3. dynamicnet

90%
    Good day:

Please see the attached screen shot of a portion of web options in Parallels H-Sphere 3.5.1.

Customers can, at the click of a button, receive a dedicated IP address without filling out a justification form.

Due to the continued shrinkage of IPv4 addresses, more and more data centers and ISP's will not sell hosting providers additional IP addresses unless the hosting provider can prove that at least 80% of the IP addresses they have previously purchased / received are being efficiently used.

The majority of data centers and ISP's only consider efficient for a dedicated IP address as it relates to Web hosting to be for a secure certificate / digital ID.

Any control panel form where a user (user, reseller, non final administrator) can change from a shared to a dedicated IP address should involve the user filling out a short request form stating why the dedicated IP address is needed.

That submission should then alert the administrator who can then approve or deny the request (must like the request for SSH access).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

4. Andrew Andriatis

57%
    Oh, I see. Sorry for confusion.
    This is a request against H-Sphere functionality, not the PPA preview. I will forward your request to the H-Sphere team.

Regards,
    Andrey

5. dynamicnet

90%
    Hi Andrey:

Thank you for forwarding the request to the H-Sphere development team.

How does Multi-Server Plesk handle the interaction for a customer who has a shared IP to move to a dedicated IP?

Thank you.

6. Andrew Andriatis

57%
    In PPA a user would have to switch to a different hosting plan with the dedicated IP. This would be done via the provider’s online store. Apparently, the store should be modified to accept a document proving the need for the IPv4 address and the workflow of such orders should be switched from automatic billing/provisioning to manual approval. We’ll see how it would fit the billing systems provided by Parallels.

Regards,
    Andrey

7. dynamicnet

90%
    Good day, Andrey:

1. Thank you for checking if IP justification documentation can be added as part of the process in Multiserver Plesk.

2. Why would a plan need to change for adding / removing an IP address?

Thank you.

8. StephenE

StephenE New Pleskian

30%
    A plan with dedicated IP is needed by hsphere too, if you don't want a client to switch to a dedicated IP, don't give it to them in the plan. I like the idea of a workflow process to assigning an IP, but don't let this hang you up, it is exactly the same as hsphere now.

9. dynamicnet

90%
    Greetings Stephen:

We've been using Parallels H-Sphere since 2002.

A customer DOES NOT have to change hosting plans in H-Sphere to get a dedicated IP address.

Thank you.

10. StephenE

StephenE New Pleskian

30%
    If the plan you made doesn't offer the option of a dedicated IP, he does need to change or be charged more. I think you may be taking it a bit to literal on 'change plan' changing plan is hardly a hard thing in any case, the billing in plesk is all about being able to upsell and offer add-ons, much more flexible than the hsphere billing.

11. dynamicnet

90%
    Good day, Stephen:

Parallels H-Sphere is extremely flexible for add ons.

Customers should not be forced to upgrade when all they need is an IP. Though they should be asked why they need the IP in terms of IPv4 justification.

Thank you.

12. StephenE

StephenE New Pleskian

30%
    they don't/won't 'have to upgrade' and no one ever said this, the plan would just need to be modified to allow it, or with extra cost, it doens't mean they have to 'change' or 'upgrade' plans. I am going based on the way plesk/cbm works now, but the issue you are making here is being taken out of line. It is essentially no different than Hsphere is now, it is up to the admin to allow the switch or not in either. Now, the justification built in is a great idea, but a totally different matter. I could be wrong that it doesn't work the way plesk does now, but most of the other options like this are, so I think it should be quite similar.

they would only have to 'upgrade' is you for example has a low end plan without a dedicated IP allowed, again admins choice.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. dynamicnet

90%
    Good day, StephenE:

Per what I posted above (post with the screen shot), the end user (not the admin) can change from a shared to a dedicated IP address in Parallels H-Sphere. The end user does not have to upgrade plans; they just click a button.

That functionality has existed since early versions up to the most current version of H-Sphere.

What I'm asking for -- by the way, are you a Parallels developer? -- is that Parallels include a form for the end user to fill out as to their need for the IP address; and then, as part of a work flow (very similar to how SSH is handled) allow the administrator to grant or deny the IP address.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  14. StephenE

StephenE New Pleskian

30%
    No I have no association to Parallels except as a long time partner. You know who I am I emailed you today.

I have no issue with your request, it is good.

I just think you are getting hung up on the 'change plan' thing far too much and making a big deal out of something incredibly simple.

15. Andrew Andriatis

57%
    Hi, Peter,
    Right now we configure two different plans with shared IPv4 and dedicated IPv4. Thats why I was talking about switching between the plans. Are you suggesting that we should also consider a Dedicated IPv4 add-on to the shared IP plan?

Regards,
    Andrey

16. dynamicnet

90%
    Good day:

"Are you suggesting that we should also consider a Dedicated IPv4 add-on to the shared IP plan?"

In H-Sphere that's the way it is now.

Why should a customer be forced to upgrade if the only change they need is a dedicated IP address?

For us, our customers it is an add-on.

All we are asking is that it is an add-on the customer would have to justify.

Thank you.

17. Andrew Andriatis

57%
  18. Jasontd101

Jasontd101 New Pleskian

73%
    I would have to agree with this.

19. Greg Pruitt

Greg Pruitt Guest

I do have a comment on the whole thing about IP's

H-Sphere is nice for being able to switch to dedicated ip if you need it and you can choose to give them free or charge. The justification feature would be nice. However I know why people need dedicated ip's and thats for ssl all my clients only use dedicated ip's for that reason.

It would be cool if you could get one dedicated ip and use on all your domains like account wide instead of using shared IP but I guess that would not work with SSL.

Also in h-sphere or the new panel it would be nice if all traffic from the site with a dedicated ip came from that ip. The ip works one way just to connect to the domain. I think it would be cool that all domain traffic would go out on its own ip instead of the main server ip. I assume its not possible but I'm just ranting anyway.

20. Andrew Andriatis

57%
    Technically it’s possible, but you would have to run both web and mail services on the same node, which is not very efficient. But if you do this, you could use the dedicated IP for all domain traffic. Plesk allows to setup it this way.

Regards,
    Andrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.