• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IPv6 suggestions

jnarvaez

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

We are deploying IPv6 in all our network and I have found two things that could be improved in Plesk.

· Plesk has a limit of 256 IPs (I tested it on a Virtuozzo environment, not sure if it works fine with native IPs). This limit should be higher with IPv6. 1024 IPs should be ok.
· You should include a option in the service plans to add automatically a dedicated IPv6 for that subscription. Why would you want to share IPs with IPv6?

Regards

Hi, thanks for your input!

I don't think we have IP limit in Plesk :) but need to recheck since very few would hit 256 IPs even on IPv6
For your second suggestion, I would recommend putting it on http://plesk.uservoice.com/ - it lets seeing all suggestions in organized way, re-prioritize them with their votes and get updated when status changes.

What kind of configuration you are offering in IPv6? Pure IPv6 or dual-stack with dedicated IPv6 and shared IPv4? Does it work well? We would like to hear your story. And may be other customers on forum may learn something from you? It is definitely time for IPv6 already and it was enabled in Plesk long ago, but still very slowly adopted.

Regards

Hi,

1. If I add more than 256 IPs in Virtuozzo and then I click on "Refresh IPs" in Plesk, it crashes. See screenshot.

error-plesk-limite-ips.jpg

2. We are trying to offer dual stack ipv4 & ipv6 with one shared ipv4 and one dedicated ipv6 for each domain. If we host 400 domains, we will need 401 ips ;)

Regards.

The problem is already fixed in Panel 12 Preview, We will send request to service team for backporting this fix.

@ jnarvaez: The reason you want to use shared IPv6 IP's is because you want to prevent your routing having to keep up with an enormous neighbor table (IPv6 ARP equivalent) if you have a dedicated IP per website. If you would, eg. host 25.000 websites your router will have to perform neighbour sollicitation for 25.000 IP addresses. This will exhaust your router's neighbor table, causing traffic to get broadcasted. Keep in mind, 25.000 IP's is equivalent to almost 100 IPv4 C-classes.

A way to fix this is to route a subnet (eg a /64) to your Plesk server, but I doubt you do this as of this moment. If might fix your neighbor table issue, but it increases your router's configuration, which is also bad and difficult to maintain if you have a lot of webservers.

So in the end there are good technical reasons why you want to maintain hosting multiple sites on single IP addresses.

Back