• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question ipv6 plesk correct config

tlatch52

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
I enabled ipv6 on my server at digitalocean and want to make sure I'm configuring it in plesk correctly.

I have it configured on the server itself correctly, via digitalocean instructions:

I added the ipv6.conf file as instructed here:
(the ipv6_ports.inc file was already auto created I guess...)

I'm not sure how exactly to add it in the UI. When using it as a "shared" address, I have problems with LetsEncrypt certificate renewals, which tells me I had it configured wrong. When splitting them up as individual dedicated addresses, the certificates renew correctly. The IP addresses are added in domain DNS as well.

Does the attached image look right, minus the one shared ipv6 address I guess I should delete, or change it to be the main plesk dedicated server ipv6? the ..:e001 address is the public address from digitalocean. I believe ..::22db:e000 is reserved for something or they just start at 1 instead of 0.

Also, the configurable range is ..::22db:e000 - ..::22db:e00f, once I get to "e009", what comes next? "e000a"? 16 dedicated IP's available? Thanks

Attachments

• ipv6-q.png
    ipv6-q.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 4
I have problems with LetsEncrypt certificate renewals, which tells me I had it configured wrong.
Could you please provide the exact error message? It can make a huge difference on identifying the true cause.

Also, the configurable range is ..::22db:e000 - ..::22db:e00f, once I get to "e009", what comes next? "e000a"?
Yes: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F

16 dedicated IP's available?
Yes.

Could you please provide the exact error message? It can make a huge difference on identifying the true cause.

Yes: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, D, E, F

Yes.

Hey thanks for your reply!

I'm unable to replicate the previous issue with LetsEncrypt certs. All my domains are renewing correctly now regardless if I'm using a shared or dedicated ipv6 on them. The previous error was a common letsencrypt error it seemed with ipv6 miss-configurations. I remember in plesk the error at the bottom mentioned "usually a firewall issue."

I had my 10 sites, the plesk panel domain, plus a dev site on the one shared ipv6 address... 2 of my sites (without cloudflare proxy enabled) were having trouble renewing certs. As soon as I deleted the shared ipv6 address record in Cloudflare DNS, I could get the cert (host,www,mail) renewed. It was not a wildcard cert, only additional mail subdomains secured. My other ~8 sites would renew just fine because they use the Cloudflade proxy on A and AAAA records (domains technically have a different ipv4/ipv6 address when proxy enabled), so the issue was somewhat masked.

I was thinking maybe shared ipv6 doesn't work like shared ipv4, at least with letsencrypt, but now it works fine. Regardless, I did recently give each site its own dedicated ipv6 address. Am I adding these to plesk correctly? It gives me a little "$id" error after adding each one, but they seem to resolve correctly. Hard to tell from my end because my wifi connection doesn't support ipv6. Curious if I'm configuring these right for each domain?

Attachments

• ipv6-1-2.png
    ipv6-1-2.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 16
  • ipv6-1-2-1.png
    ipv6-1-2-1.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ipv6-1-3.png
    ipv6-1-3.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ipv6-1-4.png
    ipv6-1-4.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 13
Hmmm yeah it seems like ipv6 isn't working on the server at all now. Not sure what the deal is, everything's configured correctly it seems.

Ah ok... Even though the remote server/droplet works over IPV6, I can't ping through it because my local machine does not support IPV6.

I always thought I couldn't ping IPV6 from my unsupported local machine only, but signing into my remote server/droplet only connects via IPV4. I can ping the server IPV6 addresses from remote login, I just can't ping other sites like google.com ipv6

Weird... well that's good to know lol. Thanks for the help

Back