• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Is domain alias an good option?

mygroupware

New Pleskian
Greetings ! I'd like to thank you all up front. I'm a noob at plesk and I could use a lil advise.

Situation:
1 Bare Metal Dedicated Server has is ready KVM but this is the host...
Running Ubuntu 18.04 and Plesk Onyx- host version installed.

I want to use 2 domain names, one is long example.com and one is short like (xmpl.com) i want to use the long one for our website and the short one as just the email server.

In the past i just used 1 IP address. for both name servers. ns1.example.com ns2.example.com... But the DNS check kept giving me errors (not best practices)..

Would it be easier to just domain alias the (xmpl.com) name to the long (Example.com ?)

Can I alias the short xmpl.com to the longer name example.com. But still have all Email including web-mail use the short name. .... There is a reason it is gmail,com and not google.com or the original - NannerNannerBillyG.com.

Thanks again for your help and advise i know there are a few ways to do this. SO i welcome your advice.

There is no good reason for using your server for DNS .. just use your registra

and yes, what you propose will work just fine.

Back