• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Is it possible to replace QMail as the default Mail Server

M

Marcus Harris

Hi,

I have a problem. I purchase AtMail Email Server for my Server. They did a remote install and it is working perfectly except when I use Outlook the connection is still going to QMail. All email from outside go to AtMail server but if we use Outlook, SMTP is still connecting to QMail.

Is there a way to turn QMail off and all AtMail's SMTP Server to work or did I waste $2000 on AtMail?

I would start with a
service qmail stop
Then I would check to see if I could still receive mail. You want to make sure that AtMail isn't using QMail to run. AtMail could possibly be using QMail to handle its mail. AtMail is just a front end web interface (Webmail) I think. Unless AtMail uses its own mail handeler the Outlook/Thunderbird/etc. client would connect to something like QMail or Postfix.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the response.

AtMail also has Email Servers that actually manage the POP3, IMAP, and SMTP. We purchased this to replace QMail.

When I stopped the QMail service here is what happens:

Via AtMail Webmail Client, I can send and receive 100%, no problem

Via Outlook I can receive emails which tells me that the AtMail POP3 server is working properly

But, cannot send via outlook... No errors, emails just don't reach the destination, which tells me that for some reason Qmail is being used to send emails. when I turn QMail back on the emails immediately show up at their destination and Atmail still works as normal for everything except sending via Outlook.

I need to figure out to get QMail out of the way so I can authenticate with Atmail and not Qmail. Because furthermore, when using Outlook, since the Qmail is in the way, any email sent to another email address on the same domain goes to the old Qmail server. And since the POP3 for Atmail is working and the new email is not there, users aren't getting those emails. And furthermore, any new email addresses that sign up on the Atmail server won't be able to send emails at all because the email address won't be on QMail and won't authenticate.

Thanks for your advice.

What AtMail should be doing is passing the e-mail off to Sendmail or perhaps their own private progam for passing out e-mails. You need to make sure that in the install you said Yes to "Enable SMTP Relay for @Mail Users". Also somewhere I think you can specify the outgoing mail server so you could do a relay. It should be set to 127.0.0.1 and then possibly you could do a
service sendmail start
and see if that makes outgoing mail work. Once you get all the serviced started/stopped that make your system run correctly you will want to run
chkconfig qmail off
or
chkconfig sendmail on
depending on what works overall.

Back