• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Is the option “Maximum number of full backup files to store” applicable to the external storage?

Sanderv

New Pleskian
I’m using Plesk for a while now and have automatic full backup configured. I use a home NAS as secondary back-up storage location.

Now is this NAS constantly running full with Plesk back-ups so I decreased the “Maximum number of full backup files to store” option to 20. Bud it does not looks like it is deleting old back-ups.

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behaviour?

Greetings,
Sander

The setting applies to local and external backups. But it is possible that during the removal of old backups an error occurs. This normally happens when the removal process takes "too long" (but who knows what timeout value that is ...) or if your NAS does not allow the transaction because it is busy doing other things. You will find an entry in the backup log file "migration.log" of the backup process that describes if and why an SFTP / FTPS delete/remove could not be executed. You should also receive an email notification on the failed transaction similar to this:

Unable to operate the storage: Transport error: unable to delete directory: Curl error: (28) Timeout was reached: Last FTP request: QUIT Last FTP response: 250 RMD command successful
Check if you have permissions to delete folders from the storage. You can check it independently with the commands:
curl --ftp-create-dirs -v --ftp-pasv --ssl -k -u <username> 'ftp://<ftp-storage>//test-dir/'
curl -v --ftp-pasv --ssl -k -u <username> 'ftp://<ftp-storage>//' -Q '-RMD test-dir'

Thank you for your response. I’m responding so late because I wanted to be absolutely sure that my problem existed and my server only makes a full back-up every week.

I reduced the number of full back-ups and watch what happened. Bud it is not deleting. The logs of my NAS is showing me a increase in file count in my back-up folder. I also looked at my Plesk back-up log bud it is a big log file and I can’t find any errors pointing to a fail in deleting.

Bud I found that I was looking at the wrong setting. I was changing the setting at “backups > settings" and there is also a setting at “backups > schedule”. “
So I changed that now and have a look if that does anything.

Greetings,
Sander

Back