• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Is there any way to rename the Plesk admin account username?

Justin Clarke

Regular Pleskian
Is there any way to rename the Plesk admin account username?

I only have the one login name which is the default "admin" username, can this be renamed to make it more secure? I.e, so people can't just guess that admin exists.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Parallels Plesk Panel renames Mysql 'root' account to 'admin' when the Panel is installed. To get root privileges simply login with the 'admin' username instead. The password is the same as the admin password in Plesk. You can find it in /etc/psa/.psa.shadow. I think that you can rename it but consequences can be unpredictable. Especially during Plesk upgrade procedure.

Also, as far as I remember it is hardcoded. Therefore it is impossible to change admin account name.

Hi, I suppose that is possible to change admin email too, right?
But it's the first time we tried to change email and seems to not work.

Even in the panel the email is updated, the emails are sent to old email with old name (contact name)...
Have you any idea how could we fix this?

I am very sorry, but I have to disagree entirely.
If we can change the "admin" username, of course it will add more complexity to brute force attacks.
Statistically can even change the fact that Joomla will be less targeted than it is now.
Maybe you have to consider Two Factor Authentication for better security.
Thanks.

Back