• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Is This A Problem: "Fix incorrectly set sender for outgoing mail"?

G J Piper

Regular Pleskian
Introduced the new option “Fix incorrectly set sender for outgoing mail” that significantly reduces the likelihood of outgoing emails landing in spam (if DKIM and SPF are also enabled and properly set up). If the option is enabled, Plesk fixes incorrect sender headers and the envelope-sender address for outgoing mail.

Could someone please tell me what problem this fixes, exactly?
I don't want to enable something that will attempt to fix something that isn't broken on my server unless I know it will only help and not hurt my setup.
How can I tell if this is a problem I have?

I would also like to know more about this option. It sells like a good thing, but it is so irrational to check that box if I don't have any background.

If none of your outgoing mail is wrongfully classified as spam, you don't need to enable this option.

What this option does is relatively fully explained in the hint text:
Automatically set valid email headers and sender envelope address for outgoing mail from domains to reduce chances of being treated as spam

The problem: some software (specifically, web applications, such as CMS'es) may send mail with incorrect settings (wrong envelope sender address, wrong From:, etc.) which results in that mail landing in spam. Sometimes these applications do not provide convenient ways to fix this or end users may not be sufficiently technically savvy to perform necessary customization. This option tells Plesk to fix these issues for outgoing mail from all domains to the best of its ability.

P.S.: behavior for forwarded mail might be unexpected for you at this moment.

If none of your outgoing mail is wrongfully classified as spam, you don't need to enable this option.

What this option does is relatively fully explained in the hint text:

The problem: some software (specifically, web applications, such as CMS'es) may send mail with incorrect settings (wrong envelope sender address, wrong From:, etc.) which results in that mail landing in spam. Sometimes these applications do not provide convenient ways to fix this or end users may not be sufficiently technically savvy to perform necessary customization. This option tells Plesk to fix these issues for outgoing mail from all domains to the best of its ability.

P.S.: behavior for forwarded mail might be unexpected for you at this moment.

Can you give us the specific case where this setting was found necessary? What CMS sends mail incorrectly?

Back