• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issues with error_log not rotating

freaky@

Regular Pleskian
Hi there,

just had a server /var full because of an error_log that was 4GB in size. First entries were from 28th of august last year.

Log rotation is configured on the webspace and access.log is rotating. It's set to rotate every 10240kiB.

Since the difference between 10MiB and >4GiB is quite large and there being a lot of errors on 28th august already it should have been rotated way sooner. Even if cron only runs the job once a day.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Host OS is Ubuntu 12.04.5 in case it matter.

Kind regards,

This issue has been seen on CentOS 6 as well (even with the log rotation set to 10240 KB it still fails to rotate when it hits that size when the daily log rotation process runs even though other logs are properly rotated)

Thanks for the re'. Since you don't mention a solution I take it there is none? :)

Couldn't find anything in the knowledge base with regards to 12 either. Did find some KB's for 11 and older, but their solutions don't seem to apply.

The process didn't generate errors so perhaps there is another way of tracking this down (or maybe a conflicting setting that is preventing the specific file from being rotated)

I do have the same issue on Centos 6.6, Plesk 12. My log file is 4gb and not rotated.
Rotation log is set by size 10240kb.
Access log is rotated well but error_log is not.
/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/error_log 4GB
/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/error_log.1 2GB
/var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/logs/error_log.1.gz -> error_log.7.gz 208kb

I don't know how to reduce this error log. Could someone have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Back