• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Joomla auto create email in parallels Module

mparadis

Regular Pleskian
Is there anyone who knows of a way to allow Joomla users to create an account on parallels?
Or perhaps some other addon for parallels which allows users to sign up for their own email account. Maybe I've missed something in the last few major updates but very much need something like this.

Thanks.

That would be a bit dangerous, don't you think? Spammers would love you.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

It would be dangerous if there was no security in place, like anything else :).
However, no, I'm not saying allow users to unilaterally create email accounts, only under certain conditions.

The real point of the question however is HOW can this be done. I am surprised no one has created a way of doing this to date considering how popular some CMS's are.

Yes, can be dangerous, but depend on situations.

Can be built a module for Joomla or any CMS, but will require a root access to install, and most of the server admin will not allow.
The way as I know it is possible (could be an another way as well) it is to have a wrapper, which will create as command line the email.
As I know, but we never investigated, PLESK API also can create it, but dunno if require or not some root access.

I can give to you more dteails if you want or we can build a module based on a wrapper, but will be pretty custom and require root to install.

I control all our servers so root access isn't a big problem.
A friend built me this function but it was for joomla 1.5 and now we are using joomla 1.6/1.7 and as you know, that will change again also.

The setup was that when a user would create their account on the joomla site, a note was shown telling them to use a 'name' such as 'blewis' for example.

If the user wanted an email account, they updated to a new Joomla class. Then we had a script which would read the joomla user table and create an email account of the same name on the plesk domain that we wanted. Since the password is md5 I believe, we were not able to read the password but could copy the md5 key over as the password. Then the user could log into the plesk webmail and use the 'name' and joomla password and have an email account.

The script would sync up with the user table and if a user went out of that class, the script would delete the user on plesk.

That worked very well but as I say, we moved on. I'm so sure others would love to have something like this for their joomla sites. By the way, I am not talking about a joomla site on plesk itself, I'm talking about a stand alone joomla site where there is also a plesk server on the same network.

Does all of this make sense to you?

Back