• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Just finished installation: Unable to ping domain names?

T

tkambler

I have just finished installing Plesk 8.0.1 for Ubuntu 5.10. Installation went perfectly.

I am now at the shell, and attempting to run the following command:

ping yahoo.com

The machine is unable to resolve the host. I am able, however, to ping IP addresses:

ping 216.109.112.135

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? Would this be due to an improper bind setup?

I have no desire to run bind on this machine, anyways. All DNS will be handled off-site.

Thanks!

You might want to check /etc/resolv.conf to make sure there is something in there.

search (a domain on this server)
nameserver (the ip of your ns1)
nameserver (the ip of your ns2)

You can also use the ip's of your DC's nameservers if they have them.

Originally posted by tkambler
I have just finished installing Plesk 8.0.1 for Ubuntu 5.10. Installation went perfectly.

I am now at the shell, and attempting to run the following command:

ping yahoo.com

The machine is unable to resolve the host. I am able, however, to ping IP addresses:

ping 216.109.112.135

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? Would this be due to an improper bind setup?

I have no desire to run bind on this machine, anyways. All DNS will be handled off-site.

Thanks!

Wow, I feel like an idiot. It's always the simplest thing. I could've sworn I set that, but looks like I failed to do so this time. Thanks. :)

Back