• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Kernel update on Plesk, Ubuntu 20.4

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Hi, I'm running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.40 on Ubuntu 20.4

Plesk will check and alert when an important Kernel update need to be performed?
My doubt is: the premium extension kernelcare allow maybe a more quick update and the advantage that you don't need a reboot but for who's not using this extension how is managed Kernel update on Plesk?

When a new Kernel update is available a notification is sent?
Plesk will remind to the user need a server reboot?

Kernel update on Plesk is done automatically, not done and not notified to the user or just notified without the premium extension?
Thanks.

Hi, I'm running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.40 on Ubuntu 20.4

Plesk will check and alert when an important Kernel update need to be performed?
My doubt is: the premium extension kernelcare allow maybe a more quick update and the advantage that you don't need a reboot but for who's not using this extension how is managed Kernel update on Plesk?

When a new Kernel update is available a notification is sent?
Plesk will remind to the user need a server reboot?

Kernel update on Plesk is done automatically, not done and not notified to the user or just notified without the premium extension?
Thanks.
Why would you want Plesk (via an extension - like say KernelCare) to do Ubuntu OS Kernel updates for you? Do you have a specific technical reason?
You can do any/all of those yourself via CLI, under full control, manually (as you'll need snapshot backups just before - just in case and... re-boots after each one to be 100% complete, or, you can use the Ubuntu Livepatch Service which is automatic / doesn't need re-boots until next convenient etc There's already lots and lots of existing, online, free information, relating to Ubuntu Kernels, provided by both Ubuntu themselves and 1000's of users/combined data sources etc

Why would you want Plesk (via an extension - like say KernelCare) to do Ubuntu OS Kernel updates for you? Do you have a specific technical reason?
You can do any/all of those yourself via CLI, under full control, manually (as you'll need snapshot backups just before - just in case and... re-boots after each one to be 100% complete, or, you can use the Ubuntu Livepatch Service which is automatic / doesn't need re-boots until next convenient etc There's already lots and lots of existing, online, free information, relating to Ubuntu Kernels, provided by both Ubuntu themselves and 1000's of users/combined data sources etc
Thank you, I never know about Ubuntu Livepatch Service.
A question, I need setup this or Plesk checks and update Kernel?

I want keep my VPS so panel and OS secured and updated.
I'm asking if Plesk care about updating Kernel and if this update are done with Plesk or need an extension or a setup as you suggested or maybe also a manual actions.

I know I can lunch an SSH command to update but my interest is to understand if Plesk will check or not for keep the OS updated and also Kernel.

Thank you, I never know about Ubuntu Livepatch Service.
A question, I need setup this or Plesk checks and update Kernel?
You need to configure this yourself. It's an Ubuntu service, that's got nothing to do with Plesk.
I want keep my VPS so panel and OS secured and updated.
I'm asking if Plesk care about updating Kernel and if this update are done with Plesk or need an extension or a setup as you suggested or maybe also a manual actions.
I know I can lunch an SSH command to update but my interest is to understand if Plesk will check or not for keep the OS updated and also Kernel.
You can allow Plesk to do Plesk / OS / A.N.Other package updates / upgrades for you, automatically, if you want to; Yes. That's easy to configure.

Or, you can do all Plesk / OS / A.N.Other package updates / upgrades manually, via CLI, but as expected, it's more work than auto-updates of course.

Before you decide which, of those is the best choice for you, you might want to search this forum, in detail, about issues where people have used Plesk auto-updates, but.. they have not had backups and/or server backups configured to sequentially match & so they have then had problems, with no way of recovering back to their pre-update / upgrade status. So, as part of your decision making process, you'll need to factor in; backups / server backups into your rational.

Back